Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Directional signal indicators on dash ('53 Commander)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Directional signal indicators on dash ('53 Commander)

I am cleaning, painting, etc. the dash in my '53 Commander. I have it apart and I can see that whatever was fastened to the back of the dash panel behind the directional indicator arrows is gone. I think it should be some kind of green "plastic". I need advice on what to get to replace it and where to get it. Same problem with the high beam indicator except it needs to be red. Thanks in advance!
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Look down in the bottom of the gauge cluster. The plastic could be there.

Craft stores like Lee's or Michael's would have clear red and green plastic. fasten it with RTV (silicone seal) and it will outlast you.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Roy:
      I did find the plastic, but it was beyond use. A craft store is a great idea. Thanks.
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

I used clear packaging tape, and colored it green with a sharpie. It's only been a year or so, but still looks good. Also did the high beam indicator in red.
        Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Another great idea! Thanks Dwight.

Comment

That can't be the best we can do here on the Forum.
            Good Roads
            Brian
            Brian Woods
            woodysrods@shaw.ca
            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

I don't remember if it was for a 53, but someone on the forum at one time suggested using the plastic from a "Mountain Dew" bottle for the lenses.
              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

One solution that some have used is to cut pcs out of the colored hanging file folder tabs from the office supply store. I tried that out, and didn't care for the "look" when the bulbs were lit. The tabs I used were too translucent so the color washed out and you could see the bulb filament. Maybe 2 layers would have been better. Also, in hindsight, the originals were secured to the back of the metal mask with what appeared to be masking tape. If that stuff was thin enough, maybe acted as a diffuser. I didn't experiment.

My company makes dash clusters for some tractors and trucks (as well as other vehicle electronics) and I had access to the scrap bins where old prototypes and left over stuff from testing gets chucked. I ripped off the colored plastic overlay "lens" sheet from some idiot light cluster that had green and red in it and cut pcs out of that. Correct type color and translucence for this application so it looks great.

Unfortunately, not a option for most readers here although maybe something from the auto junk yard could be ripped apart as cars from the 80s on often use these plastic sheets with the colored sections for the warning lights.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Thanks Jeff. Another good idea!

Comment

I use the "folder tabs" doubled, and lightly bead blasted to frost them to diffuse the light.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                      I don't remember if it was for a 53, but someone on the forum at one time suggested using the plastic from a "Mountain Dew" bottle for the lenses.
                      Yes, try two thicknesses.
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                        That might have been me. There is also a tool that most of us have "perfect" for cutting them out. It's one of those cheap little hole punches for making holes in paper.

Instructions...Drink the soda pop.

Rinse the bottle.

Cut out a chunk of the green plastic.

Take a hole punch and punch a hole in the plastic.

Discard everything (including the hole) except for the tiny "new lens."

Repeat the process for extra lens!
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

While not 'correct', when building the instrument panel on The Yellow POS, I used some craft store colored liquid plastic.
                          They had all the primary colors, so I used the red and green 'candy' style, so it would not be opaque.
                          But I did not make a sheet of it to use as a 'backer'.
                          I masked off the two arrows and 'filled' the opening, so it would be flush to the surface (and easier to keep clean).
                          Eleven years later it is just like day one.
                          Just offering this as a durability testimony.
                          Making a sheet of it would be easy, and some experimenting with thickness would get you the shade you are looking for.
                          Signal your intentions
                          Jeff
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Funny......as these cars age parts come into demand that were never needed or even given a second thought not that many years ago!

Comment

Yet another great idea! I'm sooooooooooooo confused!! Seriously, thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X