PDA

View Full Version : Correct Engine Paint

mmagic
12-02-2013, 07:44 PM
Ordered paint engine paint from SI for the Speedster and they listed and supplied Blue.

There wasn't a speck of blue paint on that engine anywhere. The only remnants of paint were a blue green.. even in hidden areas.

What is the correct engine color? Were LA cars a different engine color?

bezhawk
12-02-2013, 07:47 PM
They are more of a teal than a true blue.

mmagic
12-02-2013, 08:42 PM
They are more of a teal than a true blue.

Good ! The paint supplied by SI for 1955 is "blue" and the color they supplied does not have a hint of green to it. The color I used is a Chrysler Green that is a perfect match to all the specs of paint that remained on the motor.

Where I started to second guess my color choice was when I pulled the valve covers out of the bin and they had been over painted with teal..... And, we all know they should have been gold.

mmagic
12-02-2013, 09:13 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

StudeRich
12-02-2013, 09:56 PM
You have the '56-'57 Turquoise GREEN! 1955 Alberta BLUE is Blue. :eek:

So your Engine Serial Number is a '56? :confused:

mmagic
12-03-2013, 12:21 AM
I think this is a '55 number. I just got faked out by a PO !!! Oh well, I've got the blue and this will just make a good primer coat !! Since it's still on the stand it's no big deal.. if it was in the car I'd probably pass on repainting it.

warrlaw1
12-03-2013, 08:55 AM
My 55K was the later version (259) and the original engine looked more turquois than blue. I went with Alberta Blue from S.I. and it looks to be about right.

studegary
12-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Your engine number is for a 259 cid V8 for a 1955 President 6H assembled in Vernon (LA, CA).

mmagic
12-03-2013, 01:27 PM
OK, now it's blue.... I like this better already..... Glad I did the engine bay in Congo Ivory instead of correct Pimlico Gray. the engine bay will flat out snap with this blue against the Ivory.

warrlaw1
12-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Looks great! ...and brings back memories. Good work.

afgarcia86
12-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Does anyone know the correct engine color for a 63 GT Hawk? All the images I have seen make me think it was originally black, with yellow valve covers and red caps. I think the engine would look pretty slick in red though.

SN-60
12-03-2013, 04:11 PM
You have the '56-'57 Turquoise GREEN! 1955 Alberta BLUE is Blue. :eek:

So your Engine Serial Number is a '56? :confused:

StudeRich , PLEASE.....Let's not open this can of worms again!!.....The '55 'Alberta Blue' Studebaker engine color is a dark blue-green color....as mmagic stated when He mentioned the original paint remnants on His engine. The '56-'57 Studebaker Turquoise engine color is completely different from the '55 engine color ....as has been discussed here on this forum many times before! The '55 color 'stands alone', and is not even remotely the same as the '56-'57 Studebaker engine color....and that's really all there is to it Rich!

SN-60
12-03-2013, 04:25 PM
OK, now it's blue.... I like this better already..... Glad I did the engine bay in Congo Ivory instead of correct Pimlico Gray. the engine bay will flat out snap with this blue against the Ivory.

mmagic,---The engine looks nice....but as I mentioned in Your other thread, I'm concerned about those freeze plugs....they appear to be the later cup type (not correct for a 1955 Studebaker V8 block) and, I'm sorry to say, appear to be installed backwards....Please post a close up photo of the freeze plug installation.

mmagic
12-03-2013, 04:57 PM
I'm on the freeze plugs.. taking your advice. Yes they are and although I've used them like this they should be changed for the concave type.

Just back from NAPA and forgot them *&^*&^ !!

bezhawk
12-03-2013, 06:32 PM
That's the color I was thinking about! And yes, there is green in it. If I was gonna say turquoise, I would have said turquoise.
You do nice work. Did you do anything to protect the gold paint on the valve covers? It seems that they tend to not hold up well to gas, oil, etc. without some sort of clear coat.

Corvanti
12-03-2013, 08:25 PM
engine looks good!:!:

just for information, when i purchased the '40 "original survivor", i asked folks here what color to repaint the engine: 30161

a forum member told me the closest was a Mopar engine color - "Alpine Green".

well, after more research and another post, i was made aware of the original color - available at S.I. among other places:30162

Moral of the story: after 50 to 70 years, original paint fades to another color! check sources for the "correct" true color!:)

DEEPNHOCK
12-03-2013, 08:33 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You can delete your post, you know.
Select edit post, then select delete.
Choose delete post and check the delete box.

mmagic
12-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Thanks..... tried it once but didn't succeed.

StudeRich
12-04-2013, 01:44 AM
StudeRich , PLEASE.....Let's not open this can of worms again!!.....The '55 'Alberta Blue' Studebaker engine color is a dark blue-green color....as mmagic stated when He mentioned the original paint remnants on His engine. The '56-'57 Studebaker Turquoise engine color is completely different from the '55 engine color ....as has been discussed here on this forum many times before! The '55 color 'stands alone', and is not even remotely the same as the '56-'57 Studebaker engine color....and that's really all there is to it Rich!

Nobody said it was!
If THIS is not '56-'57 Turquoise Green, I don't know what is! That's all I was saying.
Of course the '55 Alberta Blue is a Dark Blue/Green, but predominantly Blue, I don't see what you are thinking I am misunderstanding. :confused: Because I am NOT! :ohmy:
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30144&d=1386038452

mmagic
12-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Bez... No didn't protect valve covers. Actually they are not in that good shape... 20 footers. But they'll do until I can afford Offy's. And, they're easy to remove and refinish.

SN-60
12-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Nobody said it was!
If THIS is not '56-'57 Turquoise Green, I don't know what is! That's all I was saying.
Of course the '55 Alberta Blue is a Dark Blue/Green, but predominantly Blue, I don't see what you are thinking I am misunderstanding. :confused: Because I am NOT! :ohmy:
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30144&d=1386038452

Rich, I really don't want to keep this going....but in Your first post You first tell mmagic that he has the '56-'57 Turquoise Green' color on his engine.....and then You go on to say he should check his engine's serial number because it may be a 1956 engine!!!!! I assume that You were joking.....The problem here is that mmagic is trying to get his 1955's engine color 'right', and he may not get Your humor.

mmagic
12-04-2013, 06:21 PM
SN--- I wasn't offended. I'd ordered '1955 Blue from SI and it didn't resemble even the smallest spot of remaining paint on the engine. I opted for a Chrysler engine color that was a near perfect match to the remaining paint spots. I was sure it was a '55 engine from my look-ups but I was willing to defer to the pros on this board for confirmation.

I initially approached this engine as if it had never been opened. The PO had said that a son of an owner before the owner previous to him had indicated the engine had been rebuilt about 5,000 miles prior to the current odometer reading. I chose to put as much faith in that statement as the last guy that tried to sell me a big bridge from London.

As I moved through the engine as noted in earlier board discussion the valves had good face and had hardened seats.. conclusion the heads had been addressed. Down under, bearings looked good, wires were missing from bearing main bolts and the rear main seal looked fairly fresh and pliable. So the indicators point to a complete engine rebuild recently from a mileage perspective even though 5 of the 6 freeze plugs were gone or nearly gone.

In retrospect it may have had a very thorough engine rebuild and all original paint boiled off in the process. The engine paint was similar to if not the same as the exterior paint on the car when I got it. The wake up to me came after I had paint on the engine and pulled the valve covers out of the plastic tub and realized they too were that sort of turquoise color...duhh likely someone just painted everything his girl friend's favorite color and I was a sucker to assume that was an original paint on the engine.

Thanks to all on the Board for coaching me to get it right... PS.. my right freeze plugs are at NAPA today but I'm not going out at 9 degrees.

SN-60
12-04-2013, 06:37 PM
mmagic, You're doing a great job!

Swiss-Goldenhawk
03-17-2014, 11:17 AM
Just a question about the engine paint. My 57 Golden Hawk engine block is painted dark red and I would like to paint it in 57 turquoise green. But the problem is that I do not know where I can get this paint here in Switzerland, Europe. I am aware of the fact, that it is not allowed to have this paint shipped from, let's say Studebaker International, USA to Switzerland.

Anybody know the brand of this color, maybe I could try to search it in country then.

Thank you.

Ruedi

StudeRich
03-17-2014, 12:42 PM
It is not a stock Paint Co. Color, it is Custom mixed to match the original paint Studebaker used. BUT, there have to be many Turquoise Green local paint Co. colors that would be the same or close enough.
Old Ford Green is close, also Chrysler Green if you have Engine Paint in Country for those engines.

Isn't there a Boat shipment method to Switzerland? Aerosol Cans of course can not go by Air, you can just order a Quart can of spraying Enamel from here in the States, S.I. has it.

Then you will have enough for 2 friends to paint their Engines as well!

Swiss-Goldenhawk
03-17-2014, 01:24 PM
Hello Rich

Thank you for the fast answer. Yes, here we can get for example VHT paint like http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/engineenamel/
VHT SP 131 is Ford Green and VHT SP 150 (torque'n'teal) looks also similar.

But you mention the possibility of just ordering a quart can of spraying enamel from Studebaker International. That would be a good idea. Will ask Studebaker Intl. regarding shipping possibilities.

Thank you again.

Ruedi

Swiss-Goldenhawk
03-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Just got a reply from Studebaker Intl, that they cannot ship any paint at all to Switzerland.

Will have to get me some Ford Green here in Switzerland.