Got my fix...now I'm happy(for now)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my fix...now I'm happy(for now)

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm one of those who lives in a home where I'm the only one who maintains a constant high level of enjoyment of tinkering, working on, and enjoying my old cars. Don't get me wrong. My wife takes pride in what I have been able to accomplish with my cars. But, to her, they are not, by any stretch, a high priority on her "involvement" list. Due to her allergies, fear of potential breakdowns, love of comfort, desire to keep a low profile and for avoiding anything that calls attention to herself...finding herself conspicuously riding in a highly visible vintage auto is not high on her list.

So, on this long holiday weekend, I have had to put my cars on the back burner while we participated in our local Thanksgiving activities and visits. Finally, today, while she is getting her nails done, and out "shopping"...I pulled the little 65 year-old business coupe out, gave it a cold bath, and went for a 45 minute drive to nowhere and back home. To enhance the experience...I have a cheap little battery operated sound system playing correct period music (like Moonlight Serenade) inside the cabin and amplified speakers hidden behind the grille.

Just something about a little carefree wandering jaunt among some rural roads mixed with enough four lane urban "thumbs-up" traffic to lift my spirits. Eased her back home, up the driveway, and back into the man cave. Now, I'm ready for an evening of football, warm fire, and the company of a pleasant wife with freshly done nails.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

'Sounds like your wife and mine were cut from the same cloth. <G>

That's OK by me, she doesn't do car stuff, and I don't do quilting bees.

And, like you, I got the Stude out for a spin this afternoon. I'm now in the man cave, chillin' out, with a smile of satisfaction on my face.

All in all, a good day!
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Comment

I think that most wives of old car nuts are similar. My wife likes my old cars, but she will pick and choose those events that appeal to her. She'll join me in certain parades, club picnics and dinners. Not too bad.

Rog
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

It's really quite strange, I never get used to the fact that the cars that were just old cars when I was a kid & teen-ager has since some time became OLD cars & I always find it irritating when while driving (pretty fast) on the highway people pas by just to look at my car & then SLOWS DOWN in front of me 'cause they've seen what they want, not given a thought about me driving my "old" car as a daily driver & wanna keep speed...
        & in the long run I feel just like your wifes: I don't like to be stared at.
        But I aint got no interest in driving a modern car either...
        So I reckon your wifes have it easier choosing.

But on the other hand, my wife feels the same as me.

Comment

Working...
        X