PDA

View Full Version : New Owner info?

Scubedu
11-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Is history of individual cars hard to track down? Best source for obtaining a factory repair manual for a 58 Silver Hawk. Just got it last Monday and wish to check it out before doing much driving. My understanding is that it sat quite a bit during the last 5 to 6 years.

dnevin
11-29-2013, 11:13 PM
Hi Scubedu, and welcome.

A good place to start is this article on the SDC website: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/TechThings2do.asp

You can see how your car was equipped when it left the factory by ordering a copy of the production order from the Studebaker National Museum: https://studebakermuseum.org/store/production-orders/

Factory Manuals are available from most of the vendors. A fairly good list of vendors can be found on this site: http://www.studebakervendors.com/ Studebaker International might be the closest vendor to you. There are three manuals--the repair manual, the body parts manual, and the chassis manual.

And of course, if you haven't joined the Studebaker Driver's Club, I can't recommend it enough. Not only do you support the activities of the club (such as this forum) but you get a great monthly magazine, Turning Wheels. Also, it might be worthwhile to hookup with your local chapter of the club. I'm sure someone from your area will chime in.

Congratulations on the new car. Got any pictures?

53commander
11-29-2013, 11:27 PM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new car. Information is endless around here, start by checking out the links dnevin listed. We all love looking at lots of pictures so be sure to post some.

JBOYLE
11-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Aside from Rolls and a few other high-end or fairly rare cars, I'd guess that Studebakers have the best documentation available.
Factory build sheets, production check lists (at least for Avantis), shipping documents, original owner names and addresses.
Stuff GM owners would give their right arms for...or maybe not if they were to learn that their rare Corvette or COPO Camaro/Chevelle isn't what it seems.

Bill Pressler
11-30-2013, 06:40 AM
Aside from Rolls and a few other high-end or fairly rare cars, I'd guess that Studebakers have the best documentation available.
Factory build sheets, production check lists (at least for Avantis), shipping documents, original owner names and addresses.
Stuff GM owners would give their right arms for...or maybe not if they were to learn that their rare Corvette or COPO Camaro/Chevelle isn't what it seems.

The most documentation at the SNM Archives would be for cars sold Sept. '63 and later--production orders, shipping certificates (ultimate destination on shipping certificates might be different than the production order), retail sale card, and the retail sale card that actually lists the occupation and trade-in of the purchaser!

Shipping certificates start with the '61 model year, and I believe the simpler retail sale card (with name and address of original owner) started with either the '60 or '61 model year. Retail sale cards for the '63's have some missing periods, though.

There's a forum moderator on Edmunds' site whose Dad was a Packard employee. Although he owned a GT Hawk and said he liked it, he never misses an opportunity to puncture a positive post I've made over the years about Studebaker. Things like "Studebaker threw everything Packard out". I'm like, "You should go to the SNM Archives and see the row of file cabinets marked "Packard"! When I've told him one can get the name of the original owner of late-model Studes, he posted that he thought that was a negative and that they should stop providing that information. What a dolt. ;)

Skip Lackie
11-30-2013, 07:07 AM
If your question relates to who the previous owners were, it ranges between difficult and impossible. Some states will provide the info on previous owners (for a fee), but many will not, citing privacy concerns. If you got a title, then start with that state's DMV to see what their policy is on such questions.

Flashback
11-30-2013, 07:51 AM
Hello William, And welcome. Sounds like you have a nice one to start. All the advice given is spot on. I asked some of the same questions a few years ago, and this bunch helped me out a lot. The only thing I might add is, as Skip said: Tracing previous owner history is tough. It's all depending on the previous owners. Most, if they still exist, are difficult to impossible to get info from. Congradulations on your "NEW" car.

O, BTW- We want pictures.---Please

SN-60
11-30-2013, 08:10 AM
I can easily trace ownership of My '55 Speedster back to its original owner, "The Doctor", although I still don't know the gent's name!

JBOYLE
11-30-2013, 08:59 AM
I recently got the retail sale card with the original owners name and address through SNM, it along with the shipping certificate, were the only two documents that didn't come with my car (which has had several SDC/AOAI-member owners who collected the other documents).
With Google earth, I found the house and thanks to the internet (and the owners name plaque on the console) I was able to find out some interesting things about her. A wealthy (younger?) widow who later filed suit to get control of her late husband's sizeable ($200,000) estate, instead of letting his attorneys dole out the money. She later invested in a Florida real estate firm. It would be fun to use a genealogy to find out more about her. I'm pretty sure she's dead by now, so it's not like I'm invading her privacy. (A good lesson from grad school, the dead have no right to privacy :) ).

At any rate, it helps tell the story of the car and explains how a fully loaded expensive $5400 Avanti was bought by a woman in 1963.