Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have Turner Disks on a '63/'64 Champ 1/2 ton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Anyone have Turner Disks on a '63/'64 Champ 1/2 ton?

Jim is out of town for several days, and I was wanting to finish my installation of the brakes this weekend. I bought the deluxe kit, where Jim supplies all components, except the master cylinder. Remember, that the '63/'64 has suspended pedals, so earlier ones may not have similar solutions. The old front and rear drum brakes were fine when I pulled into the garage, good pedal height and firmness.

I have a dual master cylinder existing in the truck, maybe 5-6 years old, and is a '68 Nova cylinder. All worked well with 4 drums, but since I installed the disks, I have a very low pedal, even though I have completely bled both circuits, and the rears are properly adjusted. It takes 3-4 pumps to get a decent pedal height, though the pedal is firm. The first press, the pedal goes to the floor, the second, there is a very low pedal, the third and subsequent are adequate, but still low. There's about 1/2 of free play in the pedal, though I can't measure how much that translates to at the cylinder. So far, I've not even taken the truck off of jack stands, but I can't see how driving it (yikes!) would make any difference.

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but if so, how did you solve it?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Ron, I am sure that Jim would have an immediate answer for you, he has a vast knowledge of brake systems.
    That being said, I believe the main problem with your system is the bore size of the master cylinder. Disc brakes require more fluid to be moved, so a larger bore cylinder is needed. Also,most disc brake systems do not have a residual pressure valve on the disc brake side. I do not think this would have any bearing on the problem that you are having, but it is another difference.
    If the instructions from Jim tell you what type of M/C to use, I would get that one. If you have no such info, get the master cylinder that matches the application, of what you know the calipers were originally used on.
    I hope this has been of some help. Tom

Comment

Working...
    X