PDA

View Full Version : '57 Provincial to...

studeclunker
11-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Since picking up this wagon I've had a number of ideas of what to do with it. My first of a Champ Clubcab is the primary. I've also considered using parts off a reasonably complete (though dead) '56 Commander sedan to turn it into a '56, just for giggles. That might make someone on this list unhappy though because I think he wants the tailgate. ;) The rust in this car is bad, however it isn't really terrible. It all looks repairable to me, but what would I know? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-confused005.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) Still, there is a deal of work to do.

If I turn this wagon into a Clubcab, there are a few issues to look at. First, I would like power steering. I am told that's largely impossible on a Champ. Power brakes are a possibility as I have a booster that would work. Also, it might be nice to utilize the OD tranny in this car. Thus, all considered, I would likely think about keeping the old wagon's chassis intact and setting that up with a short-bed instead. Of course, this would entail surgery on the frame, which leaves me with chills and sweaty palms. However I do have friends who are excellent welders also. So... maybe that's still a possibility. If I continue with the (currently) long-bed Champ chassis, this entails surgery on either the bed or again the chassis (hence those sweaty palms and chills again). My preference is to have a short-bed behind this, so the long will have to come off. Still to put the short-bed on would mean moving the axle back quite a bit. Then again, I could just go with a little flat-bed on it. Not as nice, IMHO, still functional though. After all, this will be a farm truck, so a flat bed might be more practical.

As to the truck beds, I have a one-ton Toyota chassis that would make a capital trailer with the long-bed. The trailer tongue is another issue. However, I might have that as well. George and I cut up a '50s Santana for scrap some years back and kept the axles and tongue. Looking back, I wish George could have been persuaded to have left the frame alone. Buuut... what the hey, scrap prices were well over two hundred a ton and we were paying the bills. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-confused005.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

So... any ideas? Am I out of my skull? :whome:

The wagon I'm talking about is the subject of this thread:
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?73810-57-Provincial

tim333
11-28-2013, 10:14 PM
I have a 57 Commander Deluxe with Custom plain Jane wheelcovers that kinda' look like baby moons. Do you have full wheelcovers from your 56? Are they the same for 57 and for sale?

studeclunker
11-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Sorry, the wheel covers didn't come with this car. A delux wouldn't have come with wheel covers IIRR. They would have been hubcaps (the smaller ones). So yours are likely the correct ones. Still, you can see the originals for my Parkview in my sig. line and I replaced them with wheelcovers ('56 of course).

tim333
11-28-2013, 10:54 PM
What is SMS? IIRR? Attached is a pic of a page from a 57 Sales brochure showing full wheel covers on Commander and Champion Deluxe models.30014

studeclunker
11-29-2013, 12:19 AM
IIRR = If I Recall Rightly.

Do please look in your own thread for my answer on SMS. This is off topic for this thread.

Nox
11-29-2013, 06:05 AM
My idea is that to put a front from a different year will be confusing & irritating for some folx & considered real cool by me!

This pick-up-thing, is it what's planed?
Like a El Camino or a Ranchero?

When I took the front of my -55 sedan & saw how short the frame & all was under all the plate-worx I thought "Hey... put'n a Lark-front on this would REALLY make some folx wrinkle their noses!"
But I like the 53-55 bodies to much to do that.

EssexExport
11-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Modders have been confusing people for years. Personally I enjoy the good, clean fun of if all.

StudeDave57
11-29-2013, 01:04 PM
I only said I'd want the tailgate because I thought removing it whole whould be easier then trying to get the spears and license bracket/light assembly seprarately. Seeing that there are THREE '57 wagons in my family, (a Pelham, a Parkview, and a Broadmoor) I thought it'd be nice to have a spare... ;)

StudeDave '57 :cool:

StudeRich
11-29-2013, 02:47 PM
For the Record, a Couple of you have gotten the Hub Cap/Wheel Cover thing all mixed up.

First of all the "cheapie" model Wagon or Sedan Champion or Commander would be a "Custom" as Tim333 indicated he has.

The "Deluxe" is the Top of the Line G (Champion) or B (Commander) Model.

The small "Hub Caps" were Standard on ALL Models, the full Wheel Covers were optional on all Models.

The 1957 Wheel Cover is similar but DIFFERENT than the '56 issue, having quite a bit of Black painted stamped (recessed) areas.
If you want MORE Stainless Steel showing, you want the '56, the '57 IMO being the much better looking one.

The Options shown in the photos in the Brochures and the way the Dealers ordered the Cars, were how THEY wanted the Cars to LOOK. Not to be taken as "Standard" Equipment.
A '57 Wheelcover: 30036

LeoH
11-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Did you check out some of the examples shown under a Larkamino search on the forum?
Here's one thread with pics: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?71474-Larkaminos&highlight=Larkamino

You might try El Camino, ute, Lark pickup and get some other ideers there.

I think, depending on how bad you want the club cab idea, just do a trim behind the driver's seat and continue along the bottom of the windows, fashion a rear cab wall, weld the rear doors in, remove the handles and smooth, patch the rust in the floor of the cargo area, spray some Rhino liner inside the bed and call it done.

Let the shuddering begin!;)

tim333
11-29-2013, 11:05 PM
Rich, I have a Custom interior but my car is a Deluxe according to the firewall data plate. Thanks for the photo of the wheel cover, a set of those are on my wish list.

studeclunker
12-01-2013, 11:24 PM
Terminology is a language I don't speak very well. Club-Cab = four-door pickup... right? :confused: Or is that Crew-Cab? I'm looking for the four-door pickup. Possibly the Champ. Still I really like the '56 front end and dash much better. Both are available, that is to say; in '62 Champ and '56 Commander. Also, the '56 is more compatible with this body-style... I think? All the same, I think doing this with the Champ might work better. Kinda...

Dave, you're welcome to them. Your reasoning sounds quite wise to me. None of the metal work on this car is perfect though. The tailgate is pretty good as are the tail lights.

LeoH
12-02-2013, 08:55 PM
I agree with you as to cab terms, I just wasn't sure what your final intention was...seating for six, or actual cargo capacity in the bed of your creation. IM not so HO, if you're shooting for seating and carrying capacity, it's not going to be pretty. Any way you look at that phrase.

If you don't know someone with photoshop skills, you might consider trying the thread on the Jalopy Journal: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300531 and put out a coupla suggested combinations to see if someone could create an image of what you intend. It might dazzle you with desire, or send you scratching at your eyes, but it'd be effort well spent before you start chopping frames and bodies and sticking pickup beds lord knows where.
It's your decision, if you really are just wanting to make a 'round the farm vehicle', then it seems it's simplest to just cut behind the passenger doors, remove the rear body sections and fashion a flat platform bed atop the rear frame and some various hook attachment points around the edge of the platform. OR, maybe get fancy and make some stake panel inserts to slide into receptacles on the sides of the platform for larger loads.