PDA

View Full Version : Time to change the rear main seal

mmagic
11-26-2013, 11:32 PM
Ready to button up the Speedster engine and today I had an hour to change the rear engine seal. I'd ordered a full engine Felpro gasket kit like I'd used before. Pulled the Oil pump and opened the bearings and they checked good. Noted the safety wires were missing on the bearing bolts so I know it had been opened before and that rings true to PO telling me it had been rebuilt 5,000 to 10,000 miles before being parked.

Reached in the box for the seal and only one half of the two part seal was in the sealed bag. Oh Ford !!! Disgusted I called NAPA and they had one in two hours !

There's always one more item to deal with but we keep moving ahead.

GThawkwind
11-26-2013, 11:55 PM
So did you end up using the lark or stock engine?

mmagic
11-27-2013, 12:02 AM
Stayed stock.... it looked real good when I got inside.... hard valve seats had been inserted and faces looked quite good so did a bench top lap job. For 2 years I wondered why it was parked... Engine??? Engine??? blown?? cracked??? etc. found nothing. Then we got into the trans and although the gears look great front bearing missing half the balls and a cracked syncro and a few other issues. Now I know. Likley get a trans from Jerry Kurtz.

GThawkwind
11-27-2013, 12:47 AM
Just looked through your threads and got back up to date. I think it'll be better this way.

bezhawk
11-27-2013, 09:30 AM
What saftey wires???? The engines I have opened up NEVER had any. and the bolts were not drilled for them. Am I missing something?

mmagic
11-27-2013, 09:39 AM
Agree GT.... Current nagging migraine with multiple dead ends is the missing steering column. Everything else is coming together.

StudeRich
11-27-2013, 12:36 PM
What saftey wires???? The engines I have opened up NEVER had any. and the bolts were not drilled for them. Am I missing something?

It's just OLD Bez! The 1956 and on Models don't have any. :D