PDA

View Full Version : 1964 or 1965?

rkapteyn
11-26-2013, 05:28 AM
The following story is about a 1965 Studebaker.
I did not know that a two door hardtop was offered in 1965.
Comments , please.
Robert Kapteyn

http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/cars/in-the-garage-1.215769#1

stude dude
11-26-2013, 05:52 AM
Looks like a regular 1965 Daytona Sports Sedan to me. I didn't see any mention of it being a hardtop.

Chris.

avantilover
11-26-2013, 05:54 AM
It's a Daytona Sports Sedan Bob, like my '66, '64 was the last year for hardtops.

Much better in my opinion as the "B" pillar provides strength that the hardtop body lacks.

Studebakercenteroforegon
11-26-2013, 10:28 AM
It's a Daytona Sports Sedan Bob, like my '66, '64 was the last year for hardtops.

Much better in my opinion as the "B" pillar provides strength that the hardtop body lacks.

However, the hardtops (J body) used the 11 gauge (.1196") frame while the V-8 2 door sedans (F body) used the 13 gauge (.0897") frame. Having owned and driven many of each style, I would say that it is the hardtops that had the most solid feel.

skyway
11-26-2013, 12:11 PM
I believe that more (read younger) and more folks are using "hardtop" to mean "not a soft-topped convertible."
Oh well, (all togeter now) dinosaurs we are and dinosaurs we shall remain!

StudeRich
11-26-2013, 01:07 PM
However, the hardtops (J body) used the 11 gauge (.1196") frame while the V-8 2 door sedans (F body) used the 13 gauge (.0897") frame. Having owned and driven many of each style, I would say that it is the hardtops that had the most solid feel.

That has been my experience also, the Hardtops are much more solid and heavier than a 2 Door Sedan.

I have seen too many of those V8 Sports Sedans with the Frame at the front crossmember broken 90% of the way OFF and flexing, they REALLY need reinforcement.

All you do is bounce the Car from the Radiator Surround Panel and look at the Frame, if it all moves together it is not cracked too far YET.

I don't care what they try to call them, but a Hardtop Convertible is STILL a Hardtop and a Sedan is a SEDAN! :woot:

8E45E
11-26-2013, 01:21 PM
I believe that more (read younger) and more folks are using "hardtop" to mean "not a soft-topped convertible."

A few hardtops are still being made. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?9534-We-ve-come-full-circle!

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?29377-Stupid-question-hardtop-or-not

Craig

studegary
11-26-2013, 02:23 PM
The owner of that 1965 Daytona Sports Sedan shows up in my SDC Roster as living in Huntington, NY (north shore of Long Island).

RadioRoy
11-26-2013, 02:33 PM

If that is so, then they need to understand the correct terminology and stop using the wrong terminology.

avantilover
11-26-2013, 03:52 PM
That has been my experience also, the Hardtops are much more solid and heavier than a 2 Door Sedan.

I have seen too many of those V8 Sports Sedans with the Frame at the front crossmember broken 90% of the way OFF and flexing, they REALLY need reinforcement.

All you do is bounce the Car from the Radiator Surround Panel and look at the Frame, if it all moves together it is not cracked too far YET.

I don't care what they try to call them, but a Hardtop Convertible is STILL a Hardtop and a Sedan is a SEDAN! :woot:

Thx for the tip Rich, I think I'm lucky with mine, had no comments from the mechanics but will check.

Studebakercenteroforegon
11-27-2013, 12:37 AM

Likewise, I have seen several '65 - '66 2 door sedans with badly cracked frames. Is it just me, or do they all seem to crack on the passenger side?

raprice
11-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Gary,

You're correct. That '65 Daytona Sport Sedan is owned by a former President of the Long Island Region and he lives in Huntington, Long Island. To my knowledge, there wasn't any "hardtop" body after the '64 model year. Bob's car has the Chevy V-8 with electronic ignition.

Rog