PDA

View Full Version : 1963 Hawk GT?

brian6373
11-22-2013, 11:56 PM
Ebay has a 63 Hawk GT for sale. The pictures show it has an earlier Stude partial flow V-8 in it and the pictures of the I.D. plates look "fishy" I sent him a message to look up the engine # on the specs page here and see when it was made. I'll post his answer if he does.

jimmijim8
11-23-2013, 04:12 AM
I don't get a real good feelin for that car as it is from Indiana. {rust belt} Looks as if the gas tank may have a leak. I don't see anythin wrong with the vin plate. I've bought 2 Studes on e bay without a personal inspection. Turned out good cause both sellers were up front+ there were underside photos. That car requires a personal inspection just by looking at the not too good revealing photos. What's the underside look like? cheers jimmijim
Ebay has a 63 Hawk GT for sale. The pictures show it has an earlier Stude partial flow V-8 in it and the pictures of the I.D. plates look2 cars on e bay without a close up "fishy" I sent him a message to look up the engine # on the specs page here and see when it was made. I'll post his answer if he does.
INSPECTION BY A STUDE GUY PERHAPS and some revealing photos of areas of concern.

BobPalma
11-23-2013, 06:47 AM
How about a link to the auction? :confused: BP

studeski
11-23-2013, 07:44 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-Hawk-Gran-Turismo-NICE-CAR-289-V8-UPSCALE-COLOR-COMBINATION-RARE-PRODUCTION-NUMBERS-WONT-/281207163315?forcerrptr=true&hash=item417940c9b3&item=281207163315&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Bud
11-23-2013, 07:54 AM
The car is a 63 judging from the dash and location of the heater core, but the engine is an early 62. The floor shifter isn't stock either as it is in the wrong location and the brake pedal is from an auto transmission car. I would be willing to bet the car started out life with an automatic transmission. Bud

kmul221
11-23-2013, 08:57 AM
I E-mailed them in regard to the 62 engine ,rocker cover colour,generator,& oil filler pipe & filter but havn't recieved a reply as yet

1962larksedan
11-23-2013, 10:24 AM
The car is a 63 judging from the dash and location of the heater core, but the engine is an early 62. The floor shifter isn't stock either as it is in the wrong location and the brake pedal is from an auto transmission car. I would be willing to bet the car started out life with an automatic transmission. Bud

You may very well be right although in this instance; the 'AT' brake pedal may be a good thing. The partial flow engine bugs me as well.

What gets is is the single into dual exhaust system: was that actually the way that Stude built its C/K bodies?

bezhawk
11-23-2013, 11:20 AM
No the single into dual isn't stock. It would have been dual all the way back. Also with disc brakes and no booster (removed) it would be hard to stop.

52hawk
11-23-2013, 11:21 AM
That exhaust bugs me too. No,the stock dual exhaust is a true dual system. They probably couldn't figure out how to run the left pipe,or just didn't want to spend the time to do it right. Can't find my pic,but the left pipe goes over the crossmember,the right pipe goes under,at the area designed for it.

BShaw
11-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Listing says it is a 3 speed OD...wonder where the OD cable is as I don't see it under the dash. Quite a few blemishes in the upholstery, dash and trim. Then there's the motor as others have noted. 289 or 259? May turn out to be a terrific car but if there was ever a car that needed to be personally inspected and driven before planking down 18 grand this is it, IMHO.

BobPalma
11-23-2013, 05:09 PM
The odd exhaust system might be explained thus:

1. We know the engine is not original to the car because of the oil filter and oil filler pipe location.

2. That means the engine came out of anoher car.

3. It could well have been a car with a single exhaust, and the crossover pipe came with the used engine.

4. If "all the above" was true, perhaps the installer simply looked at the kickup for the right-side exhaust pipe, saw no corresponding kickup on the left side, and figured the only way to "get" duals would be the way they did it...which, as we in Studebaker-land know, is kinda silly, since the correct head and exhaust pipes are readily available.

And you would think that enough of the original exhaust system would have been on the car when the original engine was removed, giving the engine swappers a clue. ;)

But you never know. :eek: BP