I'm going to try to rebuild my dash pad for my 62 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: I'm going to try to rebuild my dash pad for my 62 Lark

I'm reviving the interior of the Lark and have a badly cracked dash pad. Mine is the smooth pad (see pics). I recovered a pad several years ago for a 67 Impala that wasn't as bad, so thought I'd give this a try, though it will be a bit more challenging.

First off, I was able to remove the dash pad without removing any of the instruments. The seats were out, the radio delete plate off and the glove box door and box out. I didn't realize I was still this flexible!. Anyway most of the vinyl and the foam under it on the side closest to the windshield was intact but the foam had come loose from the metal under it, and the hard old vinyl couldn't be separated from the thin foam at that point. The front leading edge is fairly thick foam (like an inch or more) so I cut behind the thick part with a razor and remove all of the windshield side of the covering. I then used a heat gun to soften up and remove the vinyl from the foam on the leading edge leaving the old foam to retain the shape.

I have also now cleaned up the surface rust from the exposed metal on the dash top and secured any loose spots on the remaining foam with contact cement. My plan is to use Great Stuff insulating foam to build up the missing foam so it is smooth with the remaining foam on the front and then sand it smooth. I will then fill any imperfections with a skim coat of flexible body filler and then cover with appropriate vinyl. I am confident this will work.

Wish me luck. I will post pics as it progresses.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dougie; 11-22-2013, 01:07 PM.

Originally posted by Dougie View Post
    I'm reviving the interior of the Lark and have a badly cracked dash pad. Mine is the smooth pad (see pics). I recovered a pad several years ago for a 67 Impala that wasn't as bad, so thought I'd give this a try, though it will be a bit more challenging.

First off, I was able to remove the dash pad without removing any of the instruments. The seats were out, the radio delete plate off and the glove box door and box out. I didn't realize I was still this flexible!. Anyway most of the vinyl and the foam under it on the side closest to the windshield was intact but the foam had come loose from the metal under it, and the hard old vinyl couldn't be separated from the thin foam at that point. The front leading edge is fairly thick foam (like an inch or more) so I cut behind the thick part with a razor and remove all of the windshield side of the covering. I then used a heat gun to soften up and remove the vinyl from the foam on the leading edge leaving the old foam to retain the shape.

I have also now cleaned up the surface rust from the exposed metal on the dash top and secured any loose spots on the remaining foam with contact cement. My plan is to use Great Stuff insulating foam to build up the missing foam so it is smooth with the remaining foam on the front and then sand it smooth. I will then fill any imperfections with a skim coat of flexible body filler and then cover with appropriate vinyl. I am confident this will work.

Wish me luck. I will post pics as it progresses.
    Most of the vinyl you'll find has a cloth backing, and you won't be able to get it to stretch and conform. Shop around to find some plain vinyl without backing, use a good heat gun, get it plenty hot, and take your time.

It will be difficult, but if you have some skill and patience you may make it work.

Comment

Man. I just cannot imagine going to all that trouble when you can get one already properly renewed in the color of your choice from Jim Lawrence for about $150.
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
        Man. I just cannot imagine going to all that trouble when you can get one already properly renewed in the color of your choice from Jim Lawrence for about $150.
        No trouble so far and I haven't spent a cent. But since you mention it, I wasn't aware of the Jim Lawrence dash pad. Is his the plain one or ribbed? I don't want ribbed its not what was in my car. If you have his contact information I'd appreciate it.

Comment

Jim Lawrence
          FBN Upholstery
          Rt 1 Box 406
          New Martinsville, WV 26155

PH: (304)337-8693

Ribbed or not- Jim's come out looking just like what the factory had. And, I'm pretty sure all 62s had the pleats.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
            Ribbed or not- Jim's come out looking just like what the factory had. And, I'm pretty sure all 62s had the pleats.
            Jim does excellent work - saw his items at Gettysburg in 2011.

I think the Deluxe Lark in 1962 had the dash without the pleats.

Comment

I bought two dash pads from Jim and installed one in my 61 and posted some pointers on the NG. They are top quality however the original 61/62 dash pads were electro-pleated and the last I knew Jim was not set up to do this so he sews the pleats (which was done on 60 Larks). For me it looks just fine, but if your thinking about being judged, you will likely get points deducted. There was someone at the York or South Bend swap meet last year who was just starting to reproduce the electro-pleated dash covers. Perhaps someone on the NG will know who that is?
              Dan Peterson
              Montpelier, VT
              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by dpson View Post
                They are top quality however the original 61/62 dash pads were electro-pleated and the last I knew Jim was not set up to do this so he sews the pleats (which was done on 60 Larks). For me it looks just fine, but if your thinking about being judged, you will likely get points deducted.
                That is correct. I didn't mention it because if the OP was going to try to piece together his own, I assumed he wasn't worried about authenticity.

You are right hough, his work is top quality. For the price he charges, I was always able to find much better areas on my cars to invest my time
                Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                  Jim does excellent work - saw his items at Gettysburg in 2011.

I think the Deluxe Lark in 1962 had the dash without the pleats.

That's correct. That is exactly what mine looks like (including the radio delete plate). Mine is a Custom. Very basic. The ribbed looks a little higher end, which is not the look I'm going for. I'm pretty sure I can pull this off and will post pictures as I progress. I think I found some vinyl that is the color I need. The original cover is a brown color. I've got nothing to lose by trying, and it's a pretty simple pad. Like I said I did in a similar manner many years ago for a '67 Impala and it came out great. My other project is a rubber floor . I'll let you know how that goes too, but that comes later.

Comment

Working...
                  X