I abused my Studebaker, but she still loves me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I abused my Studebaker, but she still loves me

I have become so inefficient in doing things that I got in to the habit of leaving the poor Studebakers sitting for long period without exercising them or, in some case, not even running them. In my downsizing for selling our place I have to clean out 32 years of accumulation in the barn. Poor old '53 Commander hasn't even been started for more than two years and not driven on the road for maybe ten years (maybe more). To get at some of the big barn stuff I knew I would have to move the poor thing. I don't even remember when I last put gas in it. Sniffed the tank and it actually smelled like gasoline though. I expected to have to pull it out, but decided to give it a try on its own. I turned on the ignition and clicked the electric pump switch and it seemed to be running and I saw the glass bowl on the fuel pump filling. So, I cranked it a while with the ignition off to pump up some oil pressure then tried it with the ignition on. I have had trouble with the automatic choke in the past and the car wouldn't start. So I manually closed the choke and tried again. Still no go so I gave her a little shot of starting fluid, got in and hit the starter and she fired right up and ran very nicely. I added two gallons of anti-freeze then warmed it up and checked the DG fluid- nothing on the dipstick, but it would back or go forward normally. I did add two quarts of Dex/Merc though before it read full on the dipstick. I went ahead and backed her out of the barn and drove around the yard a bit. The brake pedal was high and hard and she stopped pretty well considering original marginal '53 brakes. Since the first trial I have started her easily each morning and pulled her out for the day then back in for the night. Love that car.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

That's such a common thing Paul,I think . I seem too let things sit like that sometimes and then hope all is well when wanting it to go.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

It would be nice to have the room and money to have multiple Studes, but I am thankful to have our one, and due to life and things now running several times a week as a daily driver.
      I get the idea of having a pristine showroom showpiece, but I'm not being sour grapes by saying I am very happy with the one we get to drive regularly.

Saying all that, I do desire to have something rattier and running for something other than rolling around looking pretty.

Comment

Working...
      X