frame reinforcement '53 hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frame reinforcement '53 hardtop

I have heard that Studebaker, or after-market folks, offered a frame reinforcement member to add to the 1953 hardtop to minimize the flexing. Is this true, does it work, how big a job is it to install and where might one find the part?

Thanks

You are probably refering to the wing shaped crossmember that bolted to both the frame and body and ran approximately under the front of the doors. It was added in '54 to all C/K models and remained until the end of '64 Hawk production. Some have two "hoops" for exhaust pipes that make it easier to install dual exhaust.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

You are probably refering to the wing shaped crossmember that bolted to both the frame and body and ran approximately under the front of the doors. It was added in '54 to all C/K models and remained until the end of '64 Hawk production. Some have two "hoops" for exhaust pipes that make it easier to install dual exhaust.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

The earlier "bat wing" with the single hoop is a substancially (sp)heavier support. It is a laminated piece with two separate pieces welded together. The later model 2 hoop design is near as beefy. Not sure that that would make the later one less desirable just something I found by comparing the two.
        Russ
        quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
        57 SH (project)
        60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
        53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
        57 SH (project)

Comment

The earlier "bat wing" with the single hoop is a substancially (sp)heavier support. It is a laminated piece with two separate pieces welded together. The later model 2 hoop design is near as beefy. Not sure that that would make the later one less desirable just something I found by comparing the two.
          Russ
          quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
          57 SH (project)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
          53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
          57 SH (project)

Comment

It used to be quite common to add that cross piece at the A-pillar to 1953 Starliners.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

It used to be quite common to add that cross piece at the A-pillar to 1953 Starliners.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mdelapp

I have heard that Studebaker, or after-market folks, offered a frame reinforcement member to add to the 1953 hardtop to minimize the flexing. Is this true, does it work, how big a job is it to install and where might one find the part?

Thanks
                I am not familiar with an additional frame piece but on the hardtops there was a "second floor" or sub floor box that kept the BODY from flexing. Classic Enterprises did make them years ago for the 53-57 hard tops. They were/are a bitch to install. There was a fellow in York this past year who showed a prototype of his new replacement floor with sub floor boxes and body mounts all in one piece. AMAZING. Wish'd he was around about 20 years ago.

Good Lord, I have been futzing with the same car for 20 plus years.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mdelapp

Thanks
                  I am not familiar with an additional frame piece but on the hardtops there was a "second floor" or sub floor box that kept the BODY from flexing. Classic Enterprises did make them years ago for the 53-57 hard tops. They were/are a bitch to install. There was a fellow in York this past year who showed a prototype of his new replacement floor with sub floor boxes and body mounts all in one piece. AMAZING. Wish'd he was around about 20 years ago.

Good Lord, I have been futzing with the same car for 20 plus years.

Comment

I've got ten years on ya, Bill!

I saw those at York. Pretty nice work. Don't remember who he was. Any aftermarket fabrication will require some installation consternation.

Brad Johnson
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I saw those at York. Pretty nice work. Don't remember who he was. Any aftermarket fabrication will require some installation consternation.

Brad Johnson
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I think that you are referring to Leroy Cary of Amelia, Va. (Cary Fabrication).

Comment

I think that you are referring to Leroy Cary of Amelia, Va. (Cary Fabrication).

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

What is really scary is that some marraiges don't last that long.

BG

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

What is really scary is that some marraiges don't last that long.

BG

Comment

Working...
                              X