Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Workn' on a 1960 Regal dash with pictures. comments about SI dash pad, Speaker anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workn' on a 1960 Regal dash with pictures. comments about SI dash pad, Speaker anyone?

I am rebuilding a 1960 dash, repainted it with GM Victory Red. It used to be green with green dash pads. (yuk)

Had a great experience with SI's dash pad. It does not come with the silver piping but any trim shop can sew it on and glue it down. It looks great. . The car is another forum members car and he wanted me to post pics.

I am looking for a speaker, the 1959 and 1960 speaker is unique when they have a clock, so the bolt pattern is important. Anyone know where to find one?

ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	phils 1960 dash 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1741181Click image for larger version

Name:	phils 1960 dash 001.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1741182

The speaker is the same, whether or not there is a clock. The speaker is on stand offs when a clock is installed.

After being unavailable for years, there is a new 4X8 speaker on the market, by a reputable company. here is the link.

RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I just recently saw the 1st gen Lark speaker opening with a clock in it...pretty sharp looking. I'll have to keep my eye out for one.

Comment

That link was nice, thanks but that's not what we need unless I missed something. It bugs me they say it is 30 Watts. This RADIO may sound bad with that. 8 Ohms and probably 6 Watts is what was in there.

Comment

Never use a miss matched speaker on a vintage car radio that was designed for 10 ohm speakers!

I have used this companies speakers on restorations and have been pleased with the quality and tone of their product.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Their website says for '66 T-Birds and Mustangs and NO mention of Ohm rating, but the question is: "did FoMoCo Radios have 10 Ohm. Speakers" as GM and Studebaker did? I'll bet Bill Wilson, WinM1895 will know this one.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 11-15-2013, 07:15 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here is the speaker page.http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm..... Most Studebaker later all transistor radios from 61 up used 10 ohm speakers.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Hey! NOW were getting somewhere!

4 x 8" Oval
                - This is a very rare speaker size used in 1958 Cadillac, Studebakers, ,IH, Lincoln Mark III's & IV's, Late 60's, early 70's T-Birds in stereo radio applications. Now with improved cone and suspension.
                Price - $78.95 pair - $39.95 each. 8 - 10 Ohm Size: 4"W x 8" L. 1 11/16" deep. 3 1/8" x 5 1/2" mounting centers.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 11-15-2013, 07:23 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It is all about that bolt pattern. It must clear the spacer for the clock and not be the wrong Ohms...... I think I like that second link. Thank you.

Comment

I don't think Radio Ray will steer you in the wrong direction. He ain't Radio Roy because of being an xpert in body work. Or is he that too? As for me I would put a low watt 8 to 10 ohm cheap full range single voice coil speaker in it or a good one if there were such an animal for cheap. Like 10 or 15 bucks. That's what they are really worth in cheap form. A brand new low watt 8 to 10 ohm speaker that is. cheers jimmijim
                    Last edited by jimmijim8; 11-16-2013, 04:53 AM.
                    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
                      As for me I would put a low watt 8 to 10 ohm cheap full range single voice coil speaker in it.
                      Yep, considering all one can get on AM is all-talk-radio these days, and you want to leave it that way.

Craig

Comment

This past summer I replaced the front speaker and added a rear speaker in my 60 Lark Convert using the speakers mentioned by StudeRich in post # 8. Not to go against Radio Roy, but this a less expensive option that works & fits fine with 60,s technology and sounds as good as it ever did. I did add an FM converter and switch to operate the rear speaker. We do have 1 "good" AM station in this part of the word that still plays oldies and big band music on Sunday nights for enjoyable cruising. No where near today's modern sound equipment but I am happy with my re-creation of 1960,s sound at not much cost and didn't have to cut the dash. Also great people to deal with. Had a long chat when I ordered and the speakers were here in 2 days. Just my $.02 worth.
                        Bob
                        Bob
                        Welland Ontario
                        60 Lark Convertible
                        64 Daytona
                        sigpic
                        "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

I can pick up that station sometimes. It is really great! I guess the signal is stronger at night. It reaches Southern Rhode Island. Long live Zoomer Radio!
                          Originally posted by pinehurstbob View Post
                          This past summer I replaced the front speaker and added a rear speaker in my 60 Lark Convert using the speakers mentioned by StudeRich in post # 8. Not to go against Radio Roy, but this a less expensive option that works & fits fine with 60,s technology and sounds as good as it ever did. I did add an FM converter and switch to operate the rear speaker. We do have 1 "good" AM station in this part of the word that still plays oldies and big band music on Sunday nights for enjoyable cruising. No where near today's modern sound equipment but I am happy with my re-creation of 1960,s sound at not much cost and didn't have to cut the dash. Also great people to deal with. Had a long chat when I ordered and the speakers were here in 2 days. Just my $.02 worth.
                          Bob

Comment

That's the station. Looks like we might get in some good listening on the cruise to Dover next summer if the signal goes to Rhode Island. 740 on the dial for any one that wants to find it, and also on the internet under AM740.
                            Bob
                            Bob
                            Welland Ontario
                            60 Lark Convertible
                            64 Daytona
                            sigpic
                            "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Not to beat a dead thread here, but I am actually also looking into getting some modern speakers for our car since I plan on hiding a modern head unit in the trunk or under one of the seats. I believe my 63 Hawk only came with a rear speaker, however the 62 hawk seemed to only have a front speaker and had a mounting bracket I never saw in our car. I found these two speaker also by Retrosound that seem like they will do the trick. I found that this 4x8 is closer to the bolt pattern of the speaker I pulled out of the 62. Any thoughts on this?

(4x8 - $70) http://www.crutchfield.com/p_068R48N...und-R-48N.html
                              (5x7 $66) http://www.crutchfield.com/p_068R57N...und-R-57N.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	687198036_o.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1684814Click image for larger version

Name:	8716048286_c4a1851ec7_b.jpg
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	1684815
                              Andres Garcia
                              Fairfax, VA - Philadelphia, PA

1953 Studebaker Starliner - Check out this project!

1963 Studebaker GT Hawk - Check out this project!

Comment

Working...
                              X