54 commander tranny manual question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 54 commander tranny manual question

Where can an automatic transmission shop manual be obtained (or can it) for a 1954 Commander (hard top), DG200 #SCO259091? I assume that's the correct tranny. The tranny is mechanically fine but it needs all new gaskets so as to stop an annoying drip. The 53 shop manual says to see separate manual for commander automatic tranny. Also trying to locate correct head light switch, present one works but it has to be giggled to turn on lights. Ken, Deltaville, Va

It's covered in both the Shop Manual and the Chassis Parts catalogue. Also the Studebaker International Catalogue has great illustrations. I'm running a DG200 in my 55 Commander hardtop. You'll find switches in the S.I. catalogue, too. Good luck.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

You can also disassemble the light switch, clean it up with WD-40 and a brass brush, grease it with silicone grease and reassemble it.

A perfect CASO solution, and it works.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The Detroit Gear DG Series Transmission Shop Manual Supplement is out there, they show up at Literature Vendors' Websites and at Swap Meets, but I believe the '53-'54 Shop Manual 800421 includes it.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Check with Jamie McCloud (Starliner62) in Hope mills NC. If he can't help you,maybe he can point you in the right direction.
          Neil Thornton

Comment

Neither the 1953 shop manual or the '54 supplement has a section on the automatic. The 1955 shop manual does, and there's one on ebay right now, cheap.

The original Studebaker Auto. Drive manual is available from some SDC vendors, or used ones pop up on ebay fairly often.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
              Neither the 1953 shop manual or the '54 supplement has a section on the automatic. The 1955 shop manual does, and there's one on ebay right now, cheap.

The original Studebaker Auto. Drive manual is available from some SDC vendors, or used ones pop up on ebay fairly often.
              Thanks for information. Does the 56 shop manual (covers my 56 and 57 GH) contain the same thing? if not will order manual specific to DG 200? Also when DG-200 was removed from engine a part fell out from the front shaft, see picture. Is it back in its proper position? Will take tranny to mechanic and want to make sure part is in the correct position. He's a modern day Ford tranny guy who says he enjoys working on these "mechanical" parts but he needs appropriate manuals. Ken, Deltaville Va
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ken-renda View Post
                Thanks for information. Does the 56 shop manual (covers my 56 and 57 GH) contain the same thing? if not will order manual specific to DG 200?
                I am not sure about the 1956 shop manual, but I would think not. The DG-250M was used in 1955, but there were only some six cylinder cars that used a DG transmission in the 1956 model year. I think that the separate DG transmission manual would be best for you.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Ken-renda We rebuild the DG transmissions and have needed special tools. Can do a gasket, seals and piston seal rebuild or a complete rebuild if necessary. We also buy cores. Jerry Kurtz 717 308 1800 York Pa

Comment

Thanks for information. Does the 56 shop manual (covers my 56 and 57 GH) contain the same thing? if not will order manual specific to DG 200? Also when DG-200 was removed from engine a part fell out from the front shaft, see picture. Is it back in its proper position? Will take tranny to mechanic and want to make sure part is in the correct position. He's a modern day Ford tranny guy who says he enjoys working on these "mechanical" parts but he needs appropriate manuals. Ken, Deltaville Va
                    No, the '56 shop manual mentions it, but refers you to the Auto. Drive manual.
                    The part that fell out is an fluid distribution tube. Just push it back in until it stops. Sometimes these stay in the torque converter, need to be removed and put back in the trans. main shaft.
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                      No, the '56 shop manual mentions it, but refers you to the Auto. Drive manual.
                      The part that fell out is an fluid distribution tube. Just push it back in until it stops. Sometimes these stay in the torque converter, need to be removed and put back in the trans. main shaft.
                      Dwain, thanks, have ordered the ebay listed 55 shop manual, hopefully this will provide sufficient information; tranny works fine, just want to stop the drip. It it had not been run for about 7 years and and was overhauled years before that; thought more frequent driving would take care of drip, but it did not and my garage is a "no drip zone" which is hard to achieve with Studebakers. Ken

Comment

Manuals he will need. The Detroit Gear (DG) 150, 200 and 250 are different beasts than the 56-on Flight-o-Matics, which would be familiar to a Ford guy as they were similar Borg-Warner units to the contemporary Ford and AMC units.

Comment

Working...
                        X