Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hawk Steering redo - clean sheet solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Hawk Steering redo - clean sheet solution?

I have a 59 Silver Hawk with the typical leaky steering box, and I've toyed with adding power steering. I've done a fair amount of reading on this forum about Astro van boxes and such, but I haven't yet figured out the answer to my big "overview" question about changing my steering...

It seems that (understandably) all the responses in the forum are along the lines of "if you change out to a superior steering box, then to use your existing xxxxxxx you'll have to cut part yyyyyyyy and weld it to custom part zzzzzzzz"

These types of answers assume that one wants to keep as much original as possible. Great sentiment, but my car is already a Frankenstein, so what's a few more bits?

So, if I am not concerned with keeping things original (but don't want to go as far as a new front clip) is there a solution that would update my steering box and possibly add power assist?

I'd like it to hook up to my steering knuckles/kingpins, but other than that I'm OK with replacement pieces even up to replacing the steering column. Has anyone come up with a good solution for people like me?

Thanks in advance!

Phillip

Many, many, many threads on this subject already - use the "search" function (upper right corner of the home page) - Try steering as a subject and allow lots of time to read all that is there.
    Paul TK

Comment

Working...
    X