Stump Puller.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stump Puller.

I've heard Studebakers refered to as "Stump Pullers" because they were geared so low. Today we put it to the test. Old Fred passed!

I cut down a small oak. About 6" dia. I left 18 or so inches of the stump sticking out of the ground. Old Fred,my LWB 58 Truck has a very HD bumper on the back so I rammed the stump with it a couple of times to loosten it up a little. Then wrapped a chain around the stump and hooked it to Fred's rear bumper. Old Fred has a Champion 6 with a Granny 4 spd. Josh shoved it into 1st gear and took off.At the end of the chain,the tires started to spin so he backed up and tried again. This time he drove away with most of the stump and half of the roots. After some shovel work, we wrapped the chain around the main root that was still in the ground. Josh did his thing again and pulled the rest of the stump and most of the roots out.

We were both very proud of Old Fred. Even impressed G-Ma. Plus increased the size of the Woodpile. Supposed to be 30f in South Ga. tonight.
    Neil Thornton

You gotta a lotta a nerve.... Using a truck like a truck,, there should be laws against such things.
    http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thumbs up, BIG time!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Da Tinman View Post
        You gotta a lotta a nerve.... Using a truck like a truck,, there should be laws against such things.
        Old Fred was built to work. I'm a strong believer in work. I'll put everything and everyone around here to work if they aren't careful.
        That may be why some of my offsring packed up and left these parts.

Last week I had 8 year old Grand Girl,Haleigh turning a corn sheller. Then running the shelled corn through a hand operated grain mill to make Chicken feed for josh's flock.
        Then we tighened the screws and made some GRITS! Haleigh and I cooked those and ate them.
        Neil Thornton

Comment

When I was a kid I seem to remember my grandfather doing something like that with his truck back on the farm. I think that actually may be where these trucks got the nick name. Who knows!?
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Da Tinman View Post
            Ha! I almost took a picture of it yesterday, but your hair woulda stood on end if you'd seen the scrap I took to the metal recyclers yesterday in the wagon. I did cheat and put down a padded blanket under it, but I had an old full sized set of springs folded in half, a metal desk frame folded in pieces, a piece of corrugated aluminum 8' long folded, that went in width-wise and a plastic garbage can overflowing with various metal pieces I found in the desert since my last scrap run. $7.50 worth of scrap. 3 trips this year has netted me over $20 total. Makes me furious to have to haul all that out from the open space, but, I do feel pleased to see my Stude on the correct side of the metal recycling operation!
            Last edited by LeoH; 11-14-2013, 09:58 AM.

Comment

I forgot, as I was walking the dogs back yesterday I came across an old shot up air cleaner with a distinctive shape. I know I've seen it before...it's low and round, but there are two built in scoops on either side of the air cleaner at its front the height of the air cleaner body. The basic form is an arch shape, round at the back and the two air openings are even with the front of the air cleaner curve. I want to say it's a Ford air cleaner for some reason, but that's just a memory guess.

It's off to be repurposed as well. Theoretically it could still have been used on someone's crappy rat rod project, but it was pretty shot up.

I do need to get a truck so I'm not risking the headliner or interior any more than I need to.

I'm hoping to work on a project truck starting next spring, we'll see once April rolls around the weather cooperates.
              Last edited by LeoH; 11-14-2013, 10:05 AM.

Comment

that air cleaner sounds like an olds or cad from the 50's some people call them bat wings and they bring pretty good money on ebay
                mervyn mundorf
                63 avanti r2 4speed
                83 avanti 20th ann
                64 gt hawk r1 4speed
                and others

Comment

Originally posted by merv View Post
                  that air cleaner sounds like an olds or cad from the 50's some people call them bat wings and they bring pretty good money on ebay
                  Thanks Merv. It was a Cadillac batwing, turquoise color, originally, although it was 99.99% rusted.
                  It was more oxidized than this one and crinkled: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=677896
                  It may have had the crinkles smoothed to get it to fit a carb again, but there were a dozen 9mm sized (at least) holes in it, so I don't feel too bad sending it off to be melted.
                  I probably should have set it aside and checked what I had before I tossed it.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                    Thanks Merv. It was a Cadillac batwing, turquoise color, originally, although it was 99.99% rusted.
                    It was more oxidized than this one and crinkled: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=677896
                    It may have had the crinkles smoothed to get it to fit a carb again, but there were a dozen 9mm sized (at least) holes in it, so I don't feel too bad sending it off to be melted.
                    I probably should have set it aside and checked what I had before I tossed it.
                    In some circles,That would be called "ART"
                    Neil Thornton

Comment

The bullet holes make it breathe more freely.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                      X