Remotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remotes

I've been having trouble with the remotes on the wife's 2010 Malibue. Went to dealer where he quoted me $125 each for the remotes and $25 each to program them. He was nice enough to open them up and point out that there was a broken solder connection on each. Stopped at Radio Shack, bought a small soldering iron and repaired connection. Still didn't work. Checked continuity and all stations were getting power. Question is: Is there supposed to be a lube or something on the inside of the buttons? I put a small piece of aluminum foil between button and circuit board and they work. Apparently there was some kind of coating on the button that wore off and rubber doesn't conduct real well. Any thoughts?

Bob
    Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Originally posted by BeeJay View Post
    I've been having trouble with the remotes on the wife's 2010 Malibue. Went to dealer where he quoted me $125 each for the remotes and $25 each to program them. He was nice enough to open them up and point out that there was a broken solder connection on each. Stopped at Radio Shack, bought a small soldering iron and repaired connection. Still didn't work. Checked continuity and all stations were getting power. Question is: Is there supposed to be a lube or something on the inside of the buttons? I put a small piece of aluminum foil between button and circuit board and they work. Apparently there was some kind of coating on the button that wore off and rubber doesn't conduct real well. Any thoughts?

Bob
    Find them on Ebay, that's where I found the one's for my 2008 Impala. About $20/ pr. Most sellers will send a note on how to program them but it's in the manual that came with the car. Not hard at all.

These close? http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pair-Rep...eab9a2&vxp=mtr

I read the ad, it says the dealer needs to program them as opposed to my 2008. Google, program 2010 Malibu remote before you try the dealer.

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 11-13-2013, 11:59 AM.

Comment

If both remotes stopped working at the same time, it would indicate that the problem is in the receiving/activating part in the car and not both remotes at once. Disconnect your battery for at least 15 minutes. Upon hook-up many things will reboot (may include this circuit). If your remotes are just intermittent, it is more likely the remotes have a failure mode.
      $25 is cheap/reasonable for the dealer to do anything.
      If you do need new remotes, I would also try eBay or a junkyard. The only problem with this is that other similar remotes may have the same problem. It may be best to replace the remotes, if necessary, with new, guaranteed units from Chevrolet.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If you get a used or new remote you could swap the membrane and keep your old remote's board, then you wouldn't have to program it.
        Also stores like Autozone or O'Reily's sell replacement remote cases.
        I don't know if this is the same as your remote. I told a guy at work about it for his girlfriend's Malibu but her car had remote start so it was different.

I fixed a GM remote at work that had the back of the button worn out by using a piece of another old remote. It was very thin clear plastic with black dome contacts built in it. I cut a piece out and glued it to the board. It worked fine. I just gave a piece of it to the co-worker earlier today to try. Good luck!

John
        Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 11-13-2013, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Go to the used car dept at a Chevy dealer, the used car manager usually has a drawer full of the "missing" remotes. The Dodge dealer I worked at, had a file cabinet drawer full. They will either sell them cheap or give them away!

They will still need to be programed.

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

Regarding the "lube" on the buttons: I've had (too many) TV remotes quit working. I finally opened one up and noticed indeed there was some kind of grease, presumably conducting, that had simply been pushed away from the contacts most used. I cleaned everything up and "painted" each contact with conductive paint from a pen I got at Radio Shack. The pen is normally used to create conductive traces on circuit boards. At any rate, the remote worked fine.
            Jim K.
            63 Hawk

Comment

On my '02 Avanti based on the GM F-body one of the original remotes didn't work...I tried a new battery in it...still no go. I bought a couple of replacement units from Amazon very inexpensively and followed the really easy directions. They programmed very quickly.

Just to try it, I followed the same directions for the non-working remote...it started working properly. It turns out it was either never programmed to begin with or had somehow lost its programming. Now I have extra remotes for the car...no big deal.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
              X