O/D slow to DISengage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: O/D slow to DISengage

Hi everybody..well, my old buddy Mike has talked me into taking my Hawk to the NEXT level, wherever that is, and I agreed..so she's getting rewired, new radiator, water pump, etc. We're going to pull the engine and trans out and fix whatever leaks we can. My overdrive has given me cause for concern..it drops into OD fine, works as advertised, drops out of OD and freewheels below 28 mph..so far, so good. However, on occasion, it will be VERY slow to re-engage into normal operation, so when I take off in first, or if I have slowed down but remain in second, as I give it the gas I will get a "clunk" and BOOM, THEN it shifts down into the standard gearing. Freaks me out. I know the OD is electrically operated, wondering if my wiring, solenoid relay or governor is gettin old or dirty and I have some high resistance. I say that because after I rev the engine up, even sitting still, the OD finally dis-engages..Also, i know it might be a little slow to operate when cold due to the 90 weight gear oil, I'm used to that..this is after she's warmed up.
    Cash

There is always a lag and a bit of a "jerk" when you go from freewheeling (Under 30 MPH) back to "Drive"/GO again, you have to learn to do this slowly and gently on the GO pedal, the lower the gear the harsher it is. There should not be a loud Bang however unless you "Floor it", if the Oil in both Cases is full and everything is operating normally.

Are you using GL-1 NAPA or Farm Implement Store Mineral Gear Oil?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yessir, GL1 90wt. Only reason I'm leaning towards electrical problems is that I can be sitting still, and the OD finally disengages after I rev up a bit...my thinking is that, with time and dirt/oil/etc, the solenoid might be a little slow to respond..
      Cash

Comment

It sounds like it could be just a gummed up Solenoid, needing cleaning and some light Oil on the Plunger.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Since we're going to have the engine and trans out of the car for the wiring update, that will be a good time to clean the solenoid..going to replace the o/d harness too.

Comment

agree with Rich, clean solenoid and change gear oil in both tranny and OD (always GL1)
            1947 M5 under restoration
            a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

I have found that intermittent OD operation is often caused by the governor. If the points don't have good contact the OD may fail to engage. If the internals are worn or gummed up the contacts may be slow to release.
              American iron, real old school
              With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
              With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
              With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
              The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
              I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

OD

Originally posted by Cash View Post
                Hi everybody..well, my old buddy Mike has talked me into taking my Hawk to the NEXT level, wherever that is, and I agreed..so she's getting rewired, new radiator, water pump, etc. We're going to pull the engine and trans out and fix whatever leaks we can. My overdrive has given me cause for concern..it drops into OD fine, works as advertised, drops out of OD and freewheels below 28 mph..so far, so good. However, on occasion, it will be VERY slow to re-engage into normal operation, so when I take off in first, or if I have slowed down but remain in second, as I give it the gas I will get a "clunk" and BOOM, THEN it shifts down into the standard gearing. Freaks me out. I know the OD is electrically operated, wondering if my wiring, solenoid relay or governor is gettin old or dirty and I have some high resistance. I say that because after I rev the engine up, even sitting still, the OD finally dis-engages..Also, i know it might be a little slow to operate when cold due to the 90 weight gear oil, I'm used to that..this is after she's warmed up.
                Cash
                I don't think it is proper to disengage the OD ( ie back in to conventional) while the car is still moving. You should come to a full stop first then pull the lever. There are exceptions however, if you were in OD at highway speed and you kiked it down to conventional while in conventional the lever could be pulled. But as a precaution I would not disengage while the car is moving. There no electrics happening under 28 mph. Actuating the lever at any speed risky. Dave

Comment

I don't think he is talking about using the lever. I think he is referring to normal kick-in and kick- out of the OD under the control of the governor

Comment

OD

Cash
                    I am a bit comfused....when you take off in first is the vehicle still in OD even though you are under 28 mph and is it or is it not freewheeling?
                    When you have slowed down and remain in second gear is it locked in OD? Does it remain locked in OD under 28 mph? Is all this condition happening when the OD should be freewheeling? If I understand you correctly you would be travelling in OD over 28 mph and then slow down to under 28 mph and the OD remains engaged. As you excelerate, assuming this is all happening under 28 mph, you would still be in OD and there is a sudden "clunk" and BOOM and it shifts from OD into conventional. Is this correct. Dave

Comment

Dave....just off by a couple: find yourself an Owner's Manual, and the OD operation will be spelled out. For the moment, you can go in and out of OD anytime with some instruction. With the OD handle pushed in, you are always in OD......Under ~28mph you will be at conventional ratios but with freewheeling. Greater that ~ 28mph, you'll clunk into OD for OD ratios and now have no freewheeling or engine braking function. I regularly pop in and out of OD at speeds less that ~28mph with a little acceleration at the pedal. I'm stuck in that time warp that says if you don't use it , you lose it......Look at all the gas, electrical and other seasonal trouble here on the forum.......I'm repeating myself.....GL...drive the ....out of it....

Comment

he is 'popping in and out of OD' because the governor is designed to do just that. Most of us leave the dash knob or lever in the 'engaged' position (if dash knob, this means pushed in) all the time, and let the governor take over from there. That is what it was designed to do, and it does it well.
                        The Borg-Warner OD manual is on-line at several places. Do not ever pay for it, it is free from too many places. The manual explains it very well

Comment

Well, engine and tranny's out of the car..we're going to clean and lube the solenoid, governor, new harness, then check the trans for leaks and seeps then refill trans AND o/d and have her ready to re-install. With all the work we're doing, it will probably be after Christmas before she's ready for a shakedown, but I'll make sure to give everybody an update. Also, i'll post anything odd I find when we pull the solenoid and/or governor..BTW, if I sound cranky, it's becuase I've just realised that at 53, I feel too old and fat to be crawling around on a creeper..
                          Cash

Comment

I've just realised that at 53, I feel too old and fat to be crawling around on a creeper..
                            Cash
                            Ha! Wait until you are 65!
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                            X