Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Thoughts on 55 President Interior (lots of pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Thoughts on 55 President Interior (lots of pics)

Hi all,
    How does this interior look? Does it seem accurate? (It was redone.) Thank you.
    Attached Files
    1956 Studebaker President Classic

Member of the Studebaker Drivers Club

Member of the Antique Automobile Club of America, Sugarloaf Mountain Region Historian

Mt. Airy, Maryland

http://instagram.com/theorphanpresident/

www.saturdaythe14th.wordpress.com (Blog)

There are a few things that may not be stock here....such as the carpeted firewall liner....but I think this interior looks VERY, VERY nice!

Comment

That '55 looks pretty darn nice!!!

Don't worry too much about Ed's comment on the firewall carpet. Why?

Well, just yesterday in another thread he said that a '58 Packard is 'comparable to the 'President' series'.
      Knowing that my '58 Packard is 90% untouched (a survivor so to speak) and has carpet in that same place-
      I think the carpet belongs on your '55 President State sedan's firewall...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1029.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1684629 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1018.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1684630

My picture is crappy, but it's all I have to work with on this end.
      But 'Cleo' clearly has a carpeted firewall.

Oddly- Dad's '58 President sedan does not.

He does have a point as to the seat/door panel materials/pattern, though.
      They look good, but are far from 'stock' for that car.

StudeDave '57
      Last edited by StudeDave57; 11-10-2013, 05:13 PM.
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Why isn't a 58 Packard comparable too a President ?
        Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post

Well, just yesterday in another thread he said that a '58 Packard is 'comparable to the 'President' series'.
        Knowing that my '58 Packard is 90% untouched (a survivor so to speak) and has carpet in that same place-

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29498[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]29499[/ATTACH]

StudeDave '57
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by Geigs View Post
          Does it seem accurate?
          Well...no, it doesn't but so what? I like the look! If you want it picked apart, it's not identical to the interior that came from the factory. But, so what?
          In a Studebaker sanctioned competition, in stock class you may lose a couple points for incorrect materials or patterns. In modified you may lose a couple points for the un-stretched door panel applications. You need to lose 25 points to drop from a first place to second place.
          But don't compete it! ENJOY IT !
          Envy the trunk mounted A/C.
          Last edited by rockne10; 11-10-2013, 05:44 PM.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
            You'll have to read the other thread to figure out what we were talking about.

I'm still not sure myself, honestly...

StudeDave '57
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

StudeDave '57
              How far off? So having the AACA judge it would be a mistake? Any major impact on resale? Thank you.
              1956 Studebaker President Classic

Member of the Studebaker Drivers Club

Member of the Antique Automobile Club of America, Sugarloaf Mountain Region Historian

Mt. Airy, Maryland

http://instagram.com/theorphanpresident/

www.saturdaythe14th.wordpress.com (Blog)

Comment

I have the same model "55 President with wrap around windshield. I reupholstered with a complete kit from Rene Harger with near perfect reproduction of the original upholstery material. My car is white over red and has a beige interior, red carpeting. The material pattern on your car looks pretty original. Obviously the door panel upholstery should fit flat. The arm rests on mine are upholstered in the seat pattern material. The embossed metal pieces on the door are goldtone on mine. Your steering column appears to be green. It should be body color. Yes, the firewall is upholstered as are the kick panels. My seats have red piping. White or dark blue would seem a likely choice for blue upholstery. Studebaker apparently went through a number of upholstery color and design changes in 1955. Different pattern were used for different models, i.e. Champion, Commander, President as well as for C and K models. Unless your car was received with original material it would be difficult to say what is correct.

The 1994 February and March issues of TW contain a great article on the '55s by Fred Fox, but he did not attempt to delineate or describe the many upholstery combinations used.
                American iron, real old school
                With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
                With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
                With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
                The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
                I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

You'll find a lower percentage of Studebaker fans that are stuck on everything being 100% factory correct than in many other marque clubs. There are many reasons for this. There is no quick-reference "bible" to tell eveyone what interior came in what model in what colors, etc. Many original upholstery materials are not available. Many Stude fans would not know what is "correct" for this model year. Many just enjoy driving their cars. Yes, we have judging at Stude events, but many choose not to have their cars judged. They just want to enjoy the Studebaker ownership experience.
                  Would an AACA know "Whats what?" If Stude fans don't know, I don't know if an AACA judge would. Like I said, there's no quick handy reference.
                  Doubtful it would hurt resale value much.
                  KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Agree, an AACA judge would need to be pretty adroit to critique Studebaker trim.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

StudeDave '57

I wasn't criticizing this interior at all Dave. The owner requested comments as to the accuracy of the interior....and I didn't think a carpeted firewall liner was standard on the '55 President series. I could be wrong about that...but anyway, like I said in My first post...I think this interior looks VERY,VERY NICE.. I'd be proud to own such a nice '55 President.

And Dave, I STILL think You need a cup of coffee to clear out some of those cobwebs!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                        What StudeDave means about the prior thread is that He believes some 6 cylinder Studebakers came equipped with finned drum brakes. I replied that other than a 6 cyl taxi, etc., ordered with finned V8 brakes as a heavy duty option, normal 10" front 9" rear Stude brake drums DID NOT have cooling fins. This is kind of a stretch from "Is a '56-'58 President series Stude comparable to a '58 Packard" (as far as the drum brakes go anyway)..........But Dave tends to wander just a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          I wasn't criticizing this interior at all Dave.
                          And Dave, I STILL think You need a cup of coffee to clear out some of those cobwebs!!!!!!
                          I never said you were, just that the firewall carpet might belong there.
                          And Ed- I did 20 years in the NAVY and never had a single cup of coffee.
                          There's no way I'm gonna start now that I'm retired...

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          What StudeDave means about the prior thread is that He believes some 6 cylinder Studebakers came equipped with finned drum brakes. I replied that other than a 6 cyl taxi, etc., ordered with finned V8 brakes as a heavy duty option, normal 10" front 9" rear Stude brake drums DID NOT have cooling fins. This is kind of a stretch from "Is a '56-'58 President series Stude comparable to a '58 Packard" (as far as the drum brakes go anyway)..........But Dave tends to wander just a bit!
                          What Ed is forgetting is that cars with disc brakes have finned drums.
                          Some do not have V8s, and some are NOT taxis or police cars. Some are not Cruisers.
                          And now he's added "56-'58" in front of 'Presidents'.
                          Nice try.

But anyway- none of that is on topic, sorry to have even gone there.

What this thread is about is '55 President State sedan interiors.
                          All I can add is that I have seen many of these cars.
                          I believe you have the right pattern on the door panels.
                          But I still believe that the materials (and colors?) are off for a car like this.
                          Does it seem accurate?
                          Sort of, but again- only because of the materials chosen, and those patterns on the seats.
                          Hopefully GreyBen can post a few pics of his. It'll be a good reference I'm sure.
                          Does it hurt the value?
                          Only if someone who wants a 100% stock looking car wants it.
                          As for the AACA- I wouldn't know. I've been to one of their shows, but I didn't show a car there.
                          Now that I think about it- a '55 was at that show in Jacksonville, FL, but it was back in 1990 or so.
                          I am not even sure what color that car was, let alone what model it may have been.

Somewhere I am sure I have pictures of a few of these cars.
                          But those pictures are about 1700 miles away from me at the moment.
                          You see-
                          I wander around a bit, and as such have not been home much this year...

That's all I have to say about either topic.
                          Thank you.

StudeDave '57
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

I think it looks good. Could maybe use a little tighter on the door panels but that may take care of it's self in time. The nice think about these cars is you can change what you want and almost no one knows whats suppose to be there any way. Most have never seen one.

Comment

Stude Dave,...As I mentioned to You yesterday, if You just LOOK at the rear brake backing plates hanging there in the photo...You will clearly see that these are NOT the backing plates of a disc brake car...GET IT????
                              And maybe at least try decaf!!!!!! (For those that do not have the slightest idea what Stude Dave and I are discussing here....Go to Dilling's "So, this guy goes into a repair shop" thread.)

Comment

Working...
                              X