Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice looking Lark on CL Detroit - your teens first car? Worth $4500.00?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice looking Lark on CL Detroit - your teens first car? Worth $4500.00?

Click image for larger version

Name:	lark.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1741118

Nothing fancy but low miles and from the pics it looks clean.
    sigpic

Packardbakerly,
    J.D.

Nice enough, a bit high on price. But there are very few teens who would want to be seen in it.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

That Lark looks very sharp for a Rust Belt Car, it must have been in that nice dry garage or one like it a very long time.

I am totally amazed how many of these are popping up lately with some Regal features on them, mostly interior items like this one that has the dash Top Pad, complete with the correct Silver Piping and Chrome Regal Switch Knobs, but no lower dash Pad or Regal Steering Wheel.

It is completely understandable that some owners "upgraded" them over the years like so many that have replacement Grilles with a Moulding, Parking Light Housings and head Light Rings that are easy bolt-ons when replacing a damaged "Deluxe" Painted one.

But the Interior Pieces are more difficult, and most likely special ordered.
      Here on the West Coast, the only "Upgrades" I have ever seen were the Deluxes with the Complete Regal Interior "Package"; Deluxe Steering Wheel, and Fully Padded Dash.

All of the Deluxes with Carpeting are likely aftermarket additions.

This one even has all of the Regal Chrome Front Panel Parts added, plus Accessory Bumper Guards, a Hood Ornament, and Back-up Lights, everything but what it REALLY needed...a V8!
      Last edited by StudeRich; 11-10-2013, 11:50 AM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You'd want to see pics of the floors and frame of course.but if it's as nice as what the pics do show then I say it's worth every penny of asking price.to many people are in a business state of mind $$$$,if I were looking for a nice Lark this may fit the bill ? could one take a rust bucket and transform it to what this is for the money ? FOUR doors and all this is a nice looking little Lark,I don't have my nose up in the air
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

looks nice. i'd probably price her around $3,999 and be fairly firm on that.

i can't tell if she has overdrive, i ass-u-me not. for a daily/semi-daily driver or even driving to a out of town show, i would want the od in her. i could get the '40 w/3speed & flathead 6 w/23,000 original miles (no od) on her up to 65 or a little more, but i didn't feel comfortable much over 50mph. about the same with the '51 6 w/automatic. yeah i know it's a bigger 6 and the rear end may be geared differently.

just my 2 cents.
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Was witness to a teen being given a nice Stude for their first ride in two different instances. Both ended badly.

"Check oil, daddy? Why would I do that? You mean, the reason it don't go no more is cause I didn't check the oil? Dad, I don't want another dumb ol' Studebaker!"
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My nephew (he's 42) and I were just commenting that many kids (but not all) don't work on cars anymore. They just see them as something disposable to get around in. Recently I had changed out wheels/tires/springs on my daily driver Mazda. I bought used alloys and cleaned them up, mounted and balanced new tires myself, installed the spring kit myself and shortly will be doing my own alignment. The used alloy wheels I got for $20 each, saved $50 rebate on the tires, saved $80 on the mount/balance and the $225 spring kit I found on Craigslist for $60 (NIB). I'll save around $80 on the alignment.

When I sell off the original wheels/tires I'll have about $280 invested in alloy wheels, new tires (M&B), new springs and an alignment. My nephew concurred that a kid today would have dropped $1,200-$1,500 to have someone "do it for them" and paid $20 for the rest of their life on their "student" credit card. Thankfully there are a few kids out there that appreciate older cars, but it isn't like it use to be. Neither my son nor my nephews seem to have the interest.

BTW, this 56 year old does reciprocate to their world.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lowered Protege.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1684642
              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                Was witness to a teen being given a nice Stude for their first ride in two different instances. Both ended badly.

"Check oil, daddy? Why would I do that? You mean, the reason it don't go no more is cause I didn't check the oil? Dad, I don't want another dumb ol' Studebaker!"
                Sadly, this is all too common. And not just with Studebakers.
                Last edited by Bob Andrews; 11-11-2013, 12:23 PM.
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

....and we ask why young people don't have an interest in old cars.......you don't have to look too far...... do you

Comment

Most kids nowadays don't start driving until they are 18-21. My son is now 27 and he has about as many miles under his belt now as I did when I was 17. My daughter went to the same high school in the early 2000's that I did in the mid 60's. When I went to school you couldn't find a parking space for 4 or 5 blocks in each direction from school(had 3600 students, my graduating class was just shy of 900) and you couldn't find a car more than 10-12 years old. When I picked up my daughter from school(something a self respecting kid in my days would go to any lengths to avoid) there were parking spaces right in front of the school and the newest car I saw parked was around 15-20 years old with a 3 block line of parents in cars picking up their kids like me. Unfortunately the future for the Studebaker and other brands of cars that are what I call hobby drivers cars does not bode well IMHO. The cars that are not 90-100 point cars, the ones that are affordable enough for the average guy are the ones that will be in trouble in another 20-30 yrs because of a very greatly diminished pool of enthusiasts. The $75,000.00 and up class cars are fairly safe but the ones below that will be iffy. My house is probably the only one for I don't know how many blocks that has a quick disconnect air hose fitting poking out the side of my house along side the driveway unless the Studebaker owner who used to be south of I84 and east of 60th Ave has one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                      Nice enough, a bit high on price. But there are very few teens who would want to be seen in it.
                      A few years back a man GAVE me a decent '64 Commander four-door because his two teenage daughters would duck down where they couldn't be seen when he drove them somewhere.
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Echoing these experiences. When I picked up my '60 Lark, I needed garage space and moved to sell my '64 Dart GT. It drew no good offers, so I offered it to my 18-year-old nephew as a gift. It was a rust-free Idaho car with a rebuilt slant six, headers, and a decent interior. Not interested, even though he was car shopping!

Comment

It's been a few years now, but I landed a really nice, low-mileage Stude for CHEAP when Grandma couldn't convince granddaughter to take it as her first car. Kid was adamant that she get a VW and that's what granny ended up buying for her!
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

One time when I had my '60 lark[4dr-v-8 auto,talked to my x-wife[she's younger than me] on the phone. She'd seen me driving the Lark,said:"what's with the goofy little car" ? When a buddy of mine saw my Hawk at a car show,he said "I didn't know you had that,I thought you just had one of those goofy looking Larks!
                            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

...and we wonder why Studebakers are relatively inexpensive?
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X