Underhood Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underhood Project

Well, I have finished my underhood cleanup/painting and hood insulation on the Hawk. Looks a whole lot better! Just thought I'd share a couple pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2800.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1741112Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2799.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1741113Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2796.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1741114

That really looks super nice. Great job. I like a nice engine compartment. I hope the residents here don't come down on ya for using copper gas line. When I posted my engine compartment, they told me the boogie man was gonna get me cause I used copper. LOL

Comment

Looks real good. The insulation looks a lot like the duct insulation I used to use to line the inside of heating and cooling duct work. Have you thought about a border around or on the edges?

Comment

Looks good to Me!.....It's seems strange seeing the generator on the left side of the engine. I guess if Your Hawk had power steering, it would probably have one of those unusual generator/power steering pump units?

Comment

Well the simple fact is that copper is subject to work hardening. When you form a flare in it, you are "working" it. When you work it, it becomes harder, and somewhat brittle. That line from the fuel pump to the carb seems to be unsupported, and over a period of time, vibration could cause it to further work harden, and possibly fail at one of the flares, spraying pressurized fuel over a hot engine. Not what I would wish to have happen to my car.

There really is a valid reason for not using copper lines for fuel and brake lines, and if a car is subject to a DMV or insurance company safety inspection, copper lines in those applications will ensure it fails.

Steel line is not hard to work, but you can buy that new Cunifer line, copper-nickel-iron alloy, which is easy to work, and non-corroding. I have used it for brake lines, and am mighty pleased with it.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

gordr,....Well said!

Comment

Now that is real nice. Could you recommend any particular products that you used?

Comment

The gas line was on the car when I got it, I just shined it up; didn't even realize there could be a problem with it. The generator is on the left side due to the AC compressor on the right. As far as products used, I used the POR 15 engine paint kit; took off the water pump, alternator, fuel pump, carb, intake manifold, etc. The hood insulation is from SI and I attached it with Permatex Black silicone adhesive as suggested by Permatex. As far as a border for the insulation, not sure what that means; would like to hear/see suggestions.
                The only thing I am not happy with is the bronzing on the intake manifold. Apparently the POR 15 engine paint is not hi temp enough for the manifold, so if I had to do it over, would use a higher temp paint on that item.
                Other than that, just a lot of cleaning, cleaning, and cleaning the many years of dirt of grime. I found also that "Goof Off" is a great cleaner.
                Thanks for the compliments and suggestions.

Comment

Looks great Jerry. I just hope that Old stock replacement AC or Airtex Fuel Pump is not one of the ones with the loose, unsealed actuator lever PIN that will mess up your nice job in a hurry.

It is not one of the newer ones that have no filter bowl on the bottom, so it could be a bit better, but I would definitely check that Pin.
                  The Original Carters did not have it protruding through the case like that, where it can spew Oil everywhere.

What I do with the Center Head Exhaust Port and the Carb. Heat "Leg" of the Intake Manifold, is give it a good Baked on coat of VHT 1200 Degree Manifold Paint under the Engine Enamel, it seems to help, but probably nothing short of Ceramic coating will actually STOP the overheated Paint situation.

But do check your Heat Riser Valve to make sure it is all the way Forward and Open when Hot.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 11-10-2013, 10:58 AM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Looks very good. Nice work.

Comment

Rich
                      I don't understand the fuel pump comment. I don't see anything amiss, but not sure what to look for.

Comment

Working...
                      X