Striker plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striker plates

What would the symptoms of a striker plate be if it needs to be replaced on a Hawk? Thanks.

The door won't stay shut. Tongue in cheek answer but, what are your symptoms?
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

If I may interject. The door could still 'not stay shut' if the striker is ok, but improperly adjusted. Typically the striker is 'bad' only if there is excessive wear along the top, riding surface or the leading corner is broken. The door lock (mechanism mounted on the door itself which latches to the striker) can also be broken or worn. The potmetal strikers are more often than not, improperly adjusted and people get in the habit of slamming their Studebaker's doors shut (absolutley not correct or necessary if everything is in proper alignment & working order) and causing more damage in the long run. Can you post a picture of your suspect striker for closer inspection? No need to spend money on a new part if all that is required is a simple adjustment. Good luck.

Christof Kheim
        ---studesnbldr
        christof@rockymountainstudebaker.net
        Christof Kheim
        ---studesnbldr
        ckheim@yahoo.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

If I may interject. The door could still 'not stay shut' if the striker is ok, but improperly adjusted. Typically the striker is 'bad' only if there is excessive wear along the top, riding surface or the leading corner is broken. The door lock (mechanism mounted on the door itself which latches to the striker) can also be broken or worn. The potmetal strikers are more often than not, improperly adjusted and people get in the habit of slamming their Studebaker's doors shut (absolutley not correct or necessary if everything is in proper alignment & working order) and causing more damage in the long run. Can you post a picture of your suspect striker for closer inspection? No need to spend money on a new part if all that is required is a simple adjustment. Good luck.

Christof Kheim
          ---studesnbldr
          christof@rockymountainstudebaker.net
          Christof Kheim
          ---studesnbldr
          ckheim@yahoo.com

Comment

I would say if it is properly adjusted and fails to latch properly, it is usually the striker plate. Which reminds me ...

Many years ago, say 1972, I had a striker plate go out in my hawk. I went to a wrecking yard (the only wrecking yard) in Clovis, NM. The guy said that he didn't have one. But I saw a Lark. and took the striker. I asked how much? I said $.50. So I came back in a couple days to get the other one.

He said that it was $2. I told him that the other one was only $.50. Why was this one more? He said: "I didn't think they would fit. Now I know they do."

BTW, If you bought something from this guy for $2 and gave him a $5. He would just keep the change, citing a beer tax!

========================
            63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
            Martinez, CA

Comment

I would say if it is properly adjusted and fails to latch properly, it is usually the striker plate. Which reminds me ...

Many years ago, say 1972, I had a striker plate go out in my hawk. I went to a wrecking yard (the only wrecking yard) in Clovis, NM. The guy said that he didn't have one. But I saw a Lark. and took the striker. I asked how much? I said $.50. So I came back in a couple days to get the other one.

He said that it was $2. I told him that the other one was only $.50. Why was this one more? He said: "I didn't think they would fit. Now I know they do."

BTW, If you bought something from this guy for $2 and gave him a $5. He would just keep the change, citing a beer tax!

========================
              63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
              Martinez, CA

Comment

Working...
              X