WHATS IT WORTH? Opinions on a 64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHATS IT WORTH? Opinions on a 64

So I went to look at a local Studebaker for sale.It is a 1964 four door single headlight base model car. The body has all good tinted glass. It was in a light wreck at one point and the left front fender, grill and bumper & bumper filler have been replaced. The replacement bumper is bent and no good.Replacement fender rusted. The body needs in no particular order front fenders (one dented,one rusted) ,drivers door (bottom rot),rear drivers side door (dent), both rockers (rust), floor out riggers (rust) and at least 1 rear quarter (dent). The doors open and close good so the body has not settled. Floor needs patches in places or floor pans. Did not pull up carpet to see the reality. It was up against the wall so passenger side not too visible.

Interior wise the 4 blue door panels and radio delete dash board are in fine shape. The seats are mouse hotels and shot. Headliner is fine. Interior smells of mouse pee. Suspension is saggy. Car has V8 drums and a non twin trac tapered rear axle. Motor is a 2bbl 259 V8 with a automatic transmission. Manual steering /brakes. Car has under 40,000 original miles and has been same family owned since new,but has not been run since 1980! Guy wants it to go to someone who will restore it and not scrap it. Its on the edge of being a parts car to me,but I do not have a interest in a full resto of a 4 door. It is in good shape for a midwest car. It has been in a garage most of its life and the frame did not look too bad from what I could see.

What do you think this is worth. I know opinions will vary widely,but lets hear what you think.

My impression, based on your description $750-$1000 leaning towards the left of that price curve.

Comment

Well, I somewhat agree with Leo but I think somewhere around a grand would be a good place to start, $1200 as an estimate sight unseen. I paid $400 and some change for my '64 Cruiser, but at the same time the salvage yard where I got it is a family friend and he sold it to me at scrap value but we knew the cars frame was shot before I paid him. If you can get that '64 to run, I think you could get a good deal. Let me know if you need any parts off my '64, there's not much I care about saving on it except the engine and differential.
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Really??!!?? $700-$1000? Am I completely out of touch? I am NOT being a smart azz here.I really want to know. It will need a complete fuel system replacement ,a complete brake system rebuild,transmission rebuild,and the motor who knows? It has not been run since the early 1980's .All the rubber is dry. All the sheet metal work and who knows whats hiding under the panels as far as rust. Wiring is a crap shoot since the mice have been busy.The seats will need complete rebuilding foam and all material and you might get lucky enough to get rib of the pee smell. Manual steering and brakes.Tapered rear axle. In parts I do not see much resale value in any of that. What am I missing guys?

Comment

"scrap value" plus maybe up to $150.

and if you part it out to make other Studebakers get on the road - priceless!
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
            "scrap value" plus maybe up to $150.

and if you part it out to make other Studebakers get on the road - priceless!
            Yep...and, for me, any more would turn this into a "walk-away" for me. I remember a time when scrappers charged a fee to haul away cars like this. I know we get attached to our "beloved" brand...but, when rescuing some of these relics, it don't take much to be upside down in value before you know it.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The value of anything is what a willing buyer will pay to a willing seller. Given the discription of this car that the most likely "willing buyer" is the scrap man and the value would be whatever the market price is for scrap cars in South Bend ($200-300???). If someone int the area needs a trunk, an engine, transmission or other parts then the value would increase based on the value of these parts. If you had to "restore" as a condition of sale then the seller would have to pay someone to take the car because you could probably purchase cars in better condition for much less than it would cost to purchase & "restore" this car.

Comment

Sounds like rust behind door number 1, 2 and 3. Its a parts car until you take it apart and prove otherwise. Show him some sold and unsold ebay cars in the same condition, and explain what the real value is., and try to explain if it is not fixable, it is a parts car. Buy it for that, and not scrap value. By the way, the 'good parts' for this car are considered 'common'. That's all you can do. GOOD LUCK. By the way, scrap is 120 bucks a ton out here for mixed metal/ whole cars. It is way down from where it was unless you separate cast iron, stainless aluminum, sheet metal etc........

Comment

I too agree this particular 1964 sounds like a parts car at best going by the severe (by Arizona standards) rust.

The above stated: as per another poster; the trunk lid, if decent, is worth a few dollars. This sedan's biggest enemy is that a lot of 1964-66 NOS sheet metal is still available so it has little value IMHO.

And to be crass: body work adds up quick. If someone has their heart set on a 1964 Lark 4 door; a 99% rustfree specimen can be picked up and trucked over 1,000 miles for less money than rust repair.
                  --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Well, what were you intending to offer the guy?

Comment

I was offered a solid and driveable 4 door Daytona with factory air, auto and reclining seats in New Mexico for $500.

I was very tempted but had no way of getting it home.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
                        I was offered a solid and driveable 4 door Daytona with factory air, auto and reclining seats in New Mexico for $500.

I was very tempted but had no way of getting it home.

Chris.
                        Now that's a smokin' deal...........especially in light of that NM car (probably) being essentially rustfree.
                        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Here's a '64 6 cyl. 3spd. Commander on ebay. Just listed. Claims 43K miles. No reserve opening bid of $2495. Perhaps this can help guide you as to what's reasonable for the car you're looking at.

Comment

Well thanks for the input. I really don't intend to make a offer on it. I don't even want it to part out. I have a thought of whats its worth but I just wondered about what others thought. A what if moment. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X