Three Passenger Studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three Passenger Studebaker?

Saw a North Dakota Craigslist ad that had a bunch of old cars listed as parts cars and one of them was something called a Champion 3 Passenger Business Coupe (1951). According to the ad, the seller has had the engine running. I thought I could just make it out behind a similar Stude in one of the pictures. Are those cars, if they existed, desirable?

Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
    Saw a North Dakota Craigslist ad that had a bunch of old cars listed as parts cars and one of them was something called a Champion 3 Passenger Business Coupe (1951). According to the ad, the seller has had the engine running. I thought I could just make it out behind a similar Stude in one of the pictures. Are those cars, if they existed, desirable?

http://bismarck.craigslist.org/cto/4115462921.html
    It is in the pic with the 4 door Stude. yes they are desirable but this one would have to be much better than I see in the pic to be worth his asking price. Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Here's the pic it is in...

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Most makers would call it a business coupe.
        Studebaker referred to it as a 3 passenger coupe.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Yep...Steve's right. Also, "Three Passenger Coupe" is Studebaker's official name for the business coupe. "Business Coupe" became the "street name" for all such coupes across the brand spectrum. Probably, Studebaker would have preferred "Doctor's Coupe" as an alternative as in the Doctor's buggies from horse-drawn days. If you look at the promotional literature of the 1948 model year...it depicts a doctor giving last minute instructions to his nurse as he is about to depart for his morning house-call run.

Across all brands, the business coupe was offered as an economical vehicle as personal transportation for professional folks who found themselves frequently on the street as they went about their duties. Today, seems few of us can identify (or remember) the times that gave birth to the need for such a vehicle. Back in the day, doctors came to you. Small community grocery stores would deliver a bag of groceries to your door, etc. In fact, there were many neighborhoods where few families even owned a car. In my family, by 1947, we had become a family of eight. It was 1953 before we had a family car. When we lived in a small mill village on the outskirts of town, electric trolly, bus, or taxi was the main transportation. We moved to the country in 1950 and walked about a quarter mile to a bus stop or catch the local community train to town.

I recall several small community stores that delivered groceries by business coupes driven by teenage boys. Also, I remember one of our older club members telling me that he bought a Studebaker business coupe after WWII and use it to sell singer sewing machines door to door in the late 1940's. What may be remembered as "the good 'ol days" by many...were really some pretty hard times.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I had a 1947 Champion 3 passenger coupe that's owned by Lewis York in Parrsboro today. My Dad and I hauled it out of a junkyard and rebuilt it into a really nice driving car. It had a 3-speed OD tranny and that was about it for options,not even signal lights. I had lots of fun with that car.

Comment

There were 3764 three passenger coupes built for the 1951 model year.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Lots of photos of them here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...post-pics-here

Craig

Comment

in my "The New Studebaker For 1951" sales brochure, (the one with a yellow convertible on the front cover). the page that covers my '51 is called:

1951 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION DE LUXE
                  Business Coupe

Here's America's best buy for salesmen. The Champion's
                  low price is amazing to begin with -- and you keep on enjoy-
                  ing big savings in operating cost throughout the life of the
                  car. Traveling men particularly like the extra large rear
                  deck storage space -- big enough to take care of sizable sam-
                  ple cases. All Studebakers have no-glare "black light" dash
                  dial illumination -- introduced into cars by Studebaker.

the large pic shows a blue one. the smaller pic shows the "salesman" looking behind the front seat at his suitcase plus apparently, some heavy (strapped) boxes in the rear.

soooo.... at least in 1951, Studebaker called 'em a Business Coupe.
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                    soooo.... at least in 1951, Studebaker called 'em a Business Coupe.
                    Well...I wonder if, by that time, Studebaker was "officially" admitting to what was, by then, become the accepted term for these type cars.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                      Well...I wonder if, by that time, Studebaker was "officially" admitting to what was, by then, become the accepted term for these type cars.
                      probably so, Mr C.
                      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

There is one here in our town,that has been here all it's life,in the same family. It was recently used in a wedding to transport a 5th generation Bride and Groom. One old Studebaker that has served 5 generations of the same family. That may be some kind of a record.
                        Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          Unfortunately, most of the pics are gone.

Comment

Lots of business coupe photos here.

If you want Studebaker only:
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                            X