Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'48 wagon prototype with composite body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '48 wagon prototype with composite body?

Rich Gahlbeck's recent thread regarding Len Shepherd's photobucket album led me to peruse his many photos.
    We know the '47 woodie has made its way to display in the National Museum. I haven't heard if the '48 with the composite body became one with the earth in the proving grounds or if any of it remains salvaged.

Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

The July, 1997 Turning Wheels has an extensive writeup on this car, starting on page 12.

Craigf

Comment

The roof is in storage at SNM.

Comment

That's one of those things that I'd like to see restored, but it would almost be better to make a copy of the original roof and graft it onto a new body/chassis. You can't tell it in the old photos, but that roof is actually a form of clear. It was made out of fiberglass custom made by DuPont with no color added, so all you would see was the fabric mesh that goes into fiberglass. It was designed so you couldn't see clearly through it, but it would let light in; a fixed sunroof of sorts. Who knows, maybe they will do something with it someday. I'd like to see the "pair" of '47 prototypes reunited.
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
        X