Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Homemade case spreader

Hi gang,
    reading about the dana 44's again, I'm getting ready to change my R&P set, and know I need a case spreader. $392, $297, $369, they're pretty pricey, and I know i can make one. I've looked at our forum and at photographs online and can't see any photographs where the case spreader is actually held to the case. Yet, with the force I know the grey cast iron requires to spread even .015" i'm afraid it'll pop out... any know-how out there? I was going to make my spreader out of 1/2"x2" channel, and use some 3/8" rod bent into a 180 to secure the spreader to the case, and have a fine thread nut and bolt welded to the bottom of the jaws so i can move slllllllllllllooooooooooooooooowly...
    thanks!
    c

I know I will be branded as a heretic, but you really don't need a case spreader. All you need to do to remove the carrier is to put a shop towel between the gears and turn the pinion. The carrier will come right out. To install, you just gently tap it in with a dead blow hammer to get it started and then finish by uniformly tightening the carrier bolts. There is plenty of discussion on these techniques on the internet. I used this process on my Avanti and it worked perfectly.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Try something like this. I won't argue the pluses and minuses but changing the R&P needs everything re-shimmed.

This is about what I used.

Bob

Comment

I have one I can loan you if you want to pay shipping both ways.
        It's homemade, used three times with no problems.

Originally posted by c locke View Post
        Hi gang,
        reading about the dana 44's again, I'm getting ready to change my R&P set, and know I need a case spreader. $392, $297, $369, they're pretty pricey, and I know i can make one. I've looked at our forum and at photographs online and can't see any photographs where the case spreader is actually held to the case. Yet, with the force I know the grey cast iron requires to spread even .015" i'm afraid it'll pop out... any know-how out there? I was going to make my spreader out of 1/2"x2" channel, and use some 3/8" rod bent into a 180 to secure the spreader to the case, and have a fine thread nut and bolt welded to the bottom of the jaws so i can move slllllllllllllooooooooooooooooowly...
        thanks!
        c
        Jerry Forrester
        Forrester's Chrome
        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I made my own case spreader for the Dana 44 in my Sunbeam Tiger. It is just three bars of steel and four bolts. Two bolts pivot and two bolts grab the holes in the case. I recommend rounding off the hex on the bolts but ever so slightly taper the head towards the threads. This will help to keep the bolts from slipping out of the holes. The spreading tool is actually two strut spring compressors. They catch into notches I ground in the steel. A conduit coupler keeps the two bolts together as they tighten. Here is a picture. Lastly, you mention spreading the case .015. The Tiger manual specifies .007 or about half. Tom

Click image for larger version

Name:	homemade case spreader.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1684418
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
          X