Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got my Production Order from the Studebaker Museum today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got my Production Order from the Studebaker Museum today!

Pretty cool.
    P2162 Peacock Green. And I swore I'd never own another green car...
    Overdrive, Hill Holder and that's about it. Besides WW tires, it was pretty much base model.
    Not even a radio.
    But I have a couple questions.
    The interior lists 7316 GB Mohair. What is the GB? Gray/brown? I found the remnants of the original covers under two layers of Western Auto style plaid covers.
    It also lists ignition and trunk key numbers. Can I get replacement keys with that number?
    (I didn't get any keys)
    Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	074-small.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1741012

One locksmith I contacted told me he could make keys from those codes. I did not have him do it so I am not sure.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Hi Jeff, nice Champion you have there. Your Locks are going to be the Yale Brand, usually Commanders & 8 Cyl. Cars up to 1959 have Hurd Locks with narrower Keys.

As you may know the Ignition and Doors (long Key, 5 Tumblers) are keyed alike and also the shorter Key (4 Tumblers) is used on the Trunk and Glove Box.

These original Yale Key Codes may be of very limited use today, unless you get very lucky in finding an Old enough Locksmith who has the old Books with Studebaker "De-coding" listings in them for the various cut depths needed for the keys.

But you still have the option of having one of both type locks "Keyed".
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
      X