Outside Door Handle Plunger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside Door Handle Plunger

I did a search for the info..but "latch".."handle" whatever I used I could not find anything..

My 1953 Coupe has developed a problem. The plunger is loose when drivers side door closed. The door opens (plunger works) but the plunger is loose and does not stop at the normal position when door closed. I have a service manual but can't get at it right now.. Been a little under the weather..but I am entering Goodguys 11/15 in Scottsdale and would need to fix this..
    I think I have an extra door handle for parts as it is not as nice condition cosmetically.

Anyone have an idea ? Is this an adjustable situation or broken stop of some sort.

I should be OK this weekend to take the door apart.. I also need to replace the passenger side door glass as it seems to have been cracked after the last show.

Thanks in advance..
    Last edited by parts2; 10-28-2013, 05:48 PM.

Ken, just remove the handle from your door, it should only have one screw holding it on in the door jamb, and compare the operation with the other one you have. You should then be able to see what is wrong with it. See you at Good Guys in a couple of weeks!
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Thanks Frank..
      Soon as I can get out to the garage in this freezing 75degree weather I'll take it apart. I was wondering if I need to make a stop..or how it's adjusted. But I think exactly as you..just pull it out and look. I need to look at the other handle and see how it works. I was wondering if it is an adjustment or broken stop of some sort..

I'll be there either way..
      Good to see you again..

Comment

I really feel sorry for you suffering through that 75 degree weather, I am still up north, but not for long. Actually the door handle itself has no adjustment but it is possible the stem on the handle is not being pushed back out enough due to something being broken in the door lock assy itself, like a spring. If it turns out the lock assy is the problem someone like Chuck Collins, John Kroulik, or Jerry Kaiser in Marana may have a good one.
        Originally posted by parts View Post
        Thanks Frank..
        Soon as I can get out to the garage in this freezing 75degree weather I'll take it apart. I was wondering if I need to make a stop..or how it's adjusted. But I think exactly as you..just pull it out and look. I need to look at the other handle and see how it works. I was wondering if it is an adjustment or broken stop of some sort..

I'll be there either way..
        Good to see you again..
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Perhaps Frank's answers were not clear to you or did not get to you. You DO NOT have to take your door apart at all. Look at your spare handle assembly. There is ONE screw that is in the door jamb area of the door. After removing that screw, just gently push the handle toward the front of the car until the handle is free from the car. Reverse the procedure to reinstall.
          I've never tried a repair on these for this problem. I just replace the handle assembly.
          It is probably in the 20s F here now.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I'm guessing the spring is broken.
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I do understand...I wasn't thinking about taking the door apart.. I see the screw.. I have had the door apart when I repaired the window assembly. The door on the passenger side must come somewhat apart as I need to replace the window...and service the track and replace the whiskers..
              The handle works fine..the spring pushes the plunger out too far..away from the handle..
              Simple fix..just house bound after some heavy lifting lately..

First though I am re installing the lever shocks I rebuilt..on my 1953 Jaguar XK120SE.. Been busy after putting the 350 in my son's 76 Nova..and rebuilding the 4 carbs on my 76 GL1000..
              All after work or weekends.. Getting old is not easy for old men..
              I was hoping I would not live long enough to have to rebuild those carbs again..

I did..
              Last edited by parts2; 10-30-2013, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Wow Ken, you have easily the two prettiest cars to come out of 1953, arguably the two prettiest cars.... ever. You can't see it but I'm clapping right now.

Comment

I always though so..
                  It did not look this way when I got it..

Comment

That picture reminds me of a 1953 XK-120M that I drove in about 1958-1959 with Jocko (Sr.), the race car builder/driver, as my copilot/instructor.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That is one fine looking Jag. See you at Goodguys Ken. I'm bringing the 40 President again this time. Never have made the magazine. The Avanti was in the last two times that I took it.

Denny L

Comment

When you get the handle off, you will see how it works. The spring is probably worn, or broken. It has a 'swedge' on the plunger rod. All you do is file it off or grind it, so the thing can come apart.. Replace the spring. Drill a hole for a cotter pin and small washer and you're done. (align the push button to where it looks good before you drill the hole)

Comment

Working...
                        X