High-tech wagon with 2 horses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-tech wagon with 2 horses

The Ocean Bay Chapter (Mass. & RI) had a driving tour and chapter event on Sunday at Appleton Farms in Ipswich, MA. The 1000-acre farm dates back to the 1600s and is the oldest continuously operating farm in the U.S. Our tour took us through classic New England towns, starting at a "clam shack" for chowder and fried clams. It sure is fun to look out the back of the Wagonaire and see a line of Studebakers behind you.

As the afternoon came to an end, we drifted back to our parked cars, but spotted a small carriage pulled by two white horses. The woman driving the carriage, who lives on an adjoining farm, reined the horses in and exclaimed, "Oh, Studebakers! I drove one for many years. That is, I drove a Studebaker [u]wagon</u>." Based on her descripton, it might have been an "Izzer" buckboard. The Stude wagon had been sold years ago but her current wagon - she corrected me that is was actually a "vehicle" - was a marvel of modern technology hitched to two horses. It had a steel frame, steel wheels with solid rubber tires, and 4-wheel hydraulic disk brakes! Even the steering had a complex linkage so that the wheels didn't turn right or left as fast as the horses could turn. If you want one, see www.horsecarriages.com. You just never know what turns up...

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

There's not much more inspiring than being part of a group of Studebakers on the open road! If it's twisty, turney, sun-dappled two-lane - all the better! All that infernal combustion symphony combined with shimmering, glimmering paint and chrome can make one's heart flutter![]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

There's not much more inspiring than being part of a group of Studebakers on the open road! If it's twisty, turney, sun-dappled two-lane - all the better! All that infernal combustion symphony combined with shimmering, glimmering paint and chrome can make one's heart flutter![]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
      X