Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been picking styro peanuts out of my neighbors yard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been picking styro peanuts out of my neighbors yard.

Parts from 61 Lark for the Speedster are one great example of the value of this forum... On ebay or Craigslist you can buy what's offered. Here you can say I need....

The box containing dash, steering wheel and column came yesterday in a US Post Office truck. I didn't know they took packages that big. Fortunately I was outside as the lady was not to happy and was wishing she had another route. I took it off for her and she left all smiles after begging a look at the car.

Now back to picking up peanuts.

I didn't think they would USPS that big of a package either. Unless maybe a Volkswagen or MG....(but you say it's a lark)...She deserves a piece of candy at Halloween.

Comment

The mail carrier brought 2 exhaust pipes from Parks Pipe. I couldn't believe it. They must be desperate.

Comment

Speaking of Styrofoam peanuts...years ago, a funny incident occurred as I was building a customer base for a new distributor I was representing. I walked into our warehouse one day, after several days of being on the road. The manager told me he had a letter from a customer he wanted to show me. I wish I had a copy of it today. It was one of the most clever and funny writings I have ever seen. Basically, it was a plea (and, at the same time, a passive-aggressive demand/threat.) describing what mayhem those little bits of Styrofoam caused in their business.

The letter explained, in no uncertain terms, that if we would use alternative packaging materials (bubble wrap, paper, etc.) we would acquire status as a valued business "partner." Future use of "peanuts," would mean banishment forever! For years, that letter decorated the wall of my office. Wish I still had it. For the life of me, I can't remember the wording or even which customer sent it. However, it provided a big laugh and entertainment for all who read it.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

As for the peanuts.... they did their job well. One corner of the box had been damaged and likely allowed a trail of breadcrumb/peanuts all the way from Minnesota to Colorado! They've got to love those things.

Comment

Sorry about the peanuts, but that was the best way to package everything without using 50 lbs. of newspaper. As it was, the package ended up weighing around 60 lbs. and was around $60 to ship. I was over the combined length and girth so there was an oversized package fee. If I could have made it a total of 7" shorter and narrower it would have only been $30 to ship. The ladies at the post office were surprised that they were able to accept it. It is also important to note that it arrived on Friday instead of Monday like they quoted. The post office has really earned my business in the past few months.

Hope the parts were to your liking.

Nick

Comment

No apologies needed... just wanted a catchy headline.

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
                No apologies needed... just wanted a catchy headline.
                Also, no ill intent with my "peanut tale" either. We continued to ship using them...just not to this particular customer, who, had a very legitimate reason to ban them. In fact, I have a huge bag of them for future use myself. Like life ...what's good for some, is bad for others.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I've had my mail carrier deliver a couple of unusual "packages" to my doorstep. One was the new set of rear leaf springs for Barney that came from SASCO a couple of years back; they were set together and taped side by side with the mailing label pasted to the top. Those weren't too heavy, but they were big! The other was a 4-bbl Pontiac manifold that came wrapped in a piece of roofing asphalt paper, held together with plastic cling-wrap. It was about 70 lbs.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I get rid of those peanuts by dropping them off at a Mailboxes store. They always greet me with a smile and seem truly happy to get them.
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

My former boss used to refer to styrofoam "peanuts" as Polar Bear S**T.
                      Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                      '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                      '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

How about "ghost poo"?
                        American iron, real old school
                        With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
                        With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
                        With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
                        The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
                        I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

I shun those nasty things, but am always on the look out for opportunities to salvage bubble wrap. You have to vac those pesky things up because they run away from the broom & blow away. Very frustrating.

Comment

Then again, you can use the corn starch based "peanuts". My wife used to sell Discovery Toys and they used them so a child couldn't choke. The stuff melts fast when exposed to water.

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
                              The mail carrier brought 2 exhaust pipes from Parks Pipe. I couldn't believe it. They must be desperate.
                              We're not desperate, we offer great service and good value for your shipping dollar! Just visit USPS.com and check us out.
                              J. Sinclair
                              Rural Carrier
                              Narvon, Pa.
                              I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Working...
                              X