2007 Pure Stock Musclecar Drags Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Pure Stock Musclecar Drags Report

[8D] What a year at The Pure Stock Drags! Wild, wet, wacky, windy, and even weird...but still wonderful! A new entry record was set: 153 cars, 8 of them Studebakers. That's not a record number of Studebakers, but close: In 2003, we recorded 9 Studebakers in competition. The usual throng of Studebaker devotees were all over the facility; 'way over 100, I would imagine.

I'll have the Official Results from Co-Promoter Dan Jensen in a week or so, and they will be used to prepare a report for Turning Wheels. So the following notes from the event must be deemed unofficial for the time being.

First, here are the Eight Studebaker entries, in no particular order, and how they fared in the Saturday Shootouts:

John Raab and his 1963 Lark Regal "most-of-an-R1"/Flightomatic won their shootout against a 1969 Mercury Cougar Eliminator 351.

Richard Poe and his remarkable 1963 Lark Custom 2-door R1/4-speed won his shootout by beating fellow SDCer Peter Sant in Peter's R2/Powershift Avanti in the first two races.

Art Copeland from Atlanta GA in his fresh R3 Avanti elected to not participate in the shootouts because he was sorting the car out and didn't feel it was consistent enough to pose a serious threat. (However, when he saw his would-have-been competitor 396/350HP(?) 1969 Malibu SS 396 miss several shifts during by-runs, Art had second thoughts!)

Ted Harbit, driving his own 1963 Lark Custom 2-door R2/4-speed "Stude Tomato" won his shootout against Roger Doehring's beautiful red 1966 Olds 442 hardtop, tri-power/4-speed. (Interesting trivia: Roger and his 442 were also matched against Ted in the 1999 Pure Stock Drags, the second year we attended the event, when Ted was driving The Plain Brown Wrapper.)

Ted was also driving The Plain Brown Wrapper at this year's event, but they lost their shootout against a nice 1969 396/375HP 4-speed Malibu SS396. The Wrapper's clutch was slipping in practice Friday, [V] so Ted elected to not practice with it Saturday before the shootouts, to "save" it. Even so, it then started acting tricky during launching, and undoubtedly contributed to one red light in the 2-out-of-3 matchup. [xx(]

Chuck Kern and his 1963 R2/Powershift Avanti lost [V]their shootout to a 1968(?) GTO when Chuck red-lighted one round. That threw the contest to Round Three and the GTO's driver cut an excellent light, somewhere around .010, which Chuck was unable to overcome when he got underway a split-second later.

Doug Tjapkes and his 1963 R2/Powershift Lark Regal 2-door lost their shootout against the hottest hot-shoe Ford driver there, Tom Artes(?) in his 1969 Mustang MachI SCJ 428. Actually, Tom and Doug weren't supposed to be paired, but were done so through a computer glitch; Tom had qualified much faster. Tom and Doug discussed it and Tom agreed to let Doug win the first round, but then Doug accidentally red-lighted the first round(!), handing Tom the win!

The weather was a certain factor: There was light rain or drizzle most of Friday morning, but it blew off and they had the track dry enough and cars racing by noon. However, it stayed cooler and windier than it had ever been all day Friday; folks were huddled in sweatshirts on the bleachers and there was a strong, cold headwind facing all the competitors as they challenged the strip on Friday. This gave everyone cool, dense air...but handicapped them with a headwind and cooler tires and track conditions than would be needed for optimal racing.

Saturday dawned brighter and a little warmer for the shootouts, with almost no wind. There was an excellent spectator crowd Saturday, important for Dan and Bob ($$$) to continue the event.

Weird stories abound.

For example, consider John Raab's shootout against the Cougar Eliminator. The Cougar won Round One fair & square. Round Two went to John a
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Thanks for the report, BP! Soudns like fun was had by all.

It would have been interesting to see how Art would have done with his Avanti. He has several beautiful Studes. And his 16 year old son is lucky enough to have a freshly restored '64 Daytona HT R1 package car. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

It would have been interesting to see how Art would have done with his Avanti. He has several beautiful Studes. And his 16 year old son is lucky enough to have a freshly restored '64 Daytona HT R1 package car. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
      '59 Scotsman
      '63 Daytona
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Bob,
        Thanks again for your report. I do have one correction. In the first round I had the better ET and won out right 14.410 to Peter's 14.484. He had the better light at .071, his best ever I think, to my slow .114. My victory was only .0312. The second round was a hole shot win with my 14.355 beating his 14.282, his fastest ever Pure Stock event ET.
        Richard
        The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Bob,
          Thanks again for your report. I do have one correction. In the first round I had the better ET and won out right 14.410 to Peter's 14.484. He had the better light at .071, his best ever I think, to my slow .114. My victory was only .0312. The second round was a hole shot win with my 14.355 beating his 14.282, his fastest ever Pure Stock event ET.
          Richard
          The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Great report Bob. Can you post some ET's? I would have loved to have been there. I hope some video pops up!
            Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Great report Bob. Can you post some ET's? I would have loved to have been there. I hope some video pops up!
              Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Wow - awesome reporting job!

Congrats to all participants, its an event I always enjoy reading about. "Pure" stock they might be, but with some clever assembly.

I wish Art had his car ready, his is one I was hoping would compete in this year's event. I had bought his L.S. repop R3 heads when he was making the switch to original R3 heads to be legal for the Pure Stock drags.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                Packrat junk collector
                '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Wow - awesome reporting job!

Congrats to all participants, its an event I always enjoy reading about. "Pure" stock they might be, but with some clever assembly.

I wish Art had his car ready, his is one I was hoping would compete in this year's event. I had bought his L.S. repop R3 heads when he was making the switch to original R3 heads to be legal for the Pure Stock drags.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                  Packrat junk collector
                  '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 63larkr1

Bob,
                    Richard
                    'Got myself covered, Richard, having said "one -if not both-". Anyway, I'll go back and edit it.

What time did you guys get back? I followed you most of the way down M66 until I stopped for gas at M66 where it meets M50.

Yes, it was too bad Peter didn't get into the 13s. He said he had a long way to go, but had optimistically brought his helmet in case he got under 13.999! 'maybe next year!

(Back to remove the "if not both" phrase...)

Cheers. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 63larkr1

Bob,
                      Richard
                      'Got myself covered, Richard, having said "one -if not both-". Anyway, I'll go back and edit it.

What time did you guys get back? I followed you most of the way down M66 until I stopped for gas at M66 where it meets M50.

Yes, it was too bad Peter didn't get into the 13s. He said he had a long way to go, but had optimistically brought his helmet in case he got under 13.999! 'maybe next year!

(Back to remove the "if not both" phrase...)

Cheers. BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tstclr

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Todd: I don't record ETs or speeds during the shootouts because those will be printed as part of the Official Meet results.

However, here is each Studebaker participant's best ET and Terminal Speed during practice Friday and/or Saturday. (Their best ET and best Terminal Speed may not have occurred on the same run, of course.) Further, they may or may not have posted a better ET or Terminal Speed during the shootouts:

Art Copeland: 14.194 / 97.97 (not same run)

Chuck Kern: 14.51X / 96.67 (same run; Saturday morning practice)

Peter Sant: 14.282 (per Richard Poe here) / 97.61 (probably better in shootouts)

Richard Poe: 14.355 (per Richard Poe here) / 96.27 (may have been higher in shootouts)

Ted Harbit ('63 Lark): 13.645 / 103.03 (I know his '63 did better in the shootouts, but do not have those figures here.)

Ted Harbit ('64 Challenger R3): 13.128 / 107.97 (same run; first one Friday)

Doug Tjapkes: 13.441 / 104.35 (same run during Saturday practice; may have done better in shootouts)

John Raab: 16.05 / 85.99 (not same run)

(Remember, most cars did better on Saturday, either during the brief practice permitted Saturday morning, or during the actual shootouts. That is because Friday's runs were against a stiff headwind.) [xx(] BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tstclr

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Todd: I don't record ETs or speeds during the shootouts because those will be printed as part of the Official Meet results.

However, here is each Studebaker participant's best ET and Terminal Speed during practice Friday and/or Saturday. (Their best ET and best Terminal Speed may not have occurred on the same run, of course.) Further, they may or may not have posted a better ET or Terminal Speed during the shootouts:

Art Copeland: 14.194 / 97.97 (not same run)

Chuck Kern: 14.51X / 96.67 (same run; Saturday morning practice)

Peter Sant: 14.282 (per Richard Poe here) / 97.61 (probably better in shootouts)

Richard Poe: 14.355 (per Richard Poe here) / 96.27 (may have been higher in shootouts)

Ted Harbit ('63 Lark): 13.645 / 103.03 (I know his '63 did better in the shootouts, but do not have those figures here.)

Ted Harbit ('64 Challenger R3): 13.128 / 107.97 (same run; first one Friday)

Doug Tjapkes: 13.441 / 104.35 (same run during Saturday practice; may have done better in shootouts)

John Raab: 16.05 / 85.99 (not same run)

(Remember, most cars did better on Saturday, either during the brief practice permitted Saturday morning, or during the actual shootouts. That is because Friday's runs were against a stiff headwind.) [xx(] BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Matthew Burnette
                            '59 Scotsman
                            '63 Daytona
                            Hazlehurst, GA

Yes, Matthew, we really enjoyed having Art, his son Shane and business partner Clay there. Many congrats and thanks to them for traveling so far to be at this event. (In fact, they may not yet be home as I type this!) BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Matthew Burnette
                              '59 Scotsman
                              '63 Daytona
                              Hazlehurst, GA

Yes, Matthew, we really enjoyed having Art, his son Shane and business partner Clay there. Many congrats and thanks to them for traveling so far to be at this event. (In fact, they may not yet be home as I type this!) BP

Comment

Working...
                              X