End pieces for chrome dash switch panel on '53 '54 Commanders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End pieces for chrome dash switch panel on '53 '54 Commanders

I am getting ready to replace the chrome strip that contains the switches (headlight, heater, etc.) at the top of the dash on my '53 Commander Starliner. In talking with other Studebaker owners, I've discovered that some of these cars include the very small end piece on the left as part of the switch panel and some don't. Also, some include the very small end piece on the right side as part of the glove compartment chrome and some don't. Can anyone shed some light on whether these are differences between Vernon/South Bend cars or between early/late cars or maybe between '53/'54 cars? Thanks in advance!
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

I believe it is 53 vs 54 but I could be wrong. ISTR that I bought a NOS one once that included the end piece but the one on my 53 did not. I looked it up and found it fit a 54. This was maybe 20 years ago so I may be making it up!
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

DDUB is correct. Separate pieces (both ends) on a 53 and part of the larger pieces on a 54. The 54 parts will work on your 53. BTW, ALL Commander dashes were the same for both years (sedans, coupes, hardtops, wagons). Also, the Champion glove box chrome all models will interchange with the Commanders.
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks Don and Dick. The mystery is solved!
        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
        '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Working...
        X