Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part Request AC-2205

Hello All,

I need help to track down the "DRIVE" portion of the "AUTOMATIC DRIVE" script that was an (option???) I already have the "AUTOMATIC" potion of the script, otherwise I would purchase the whole thing for $80 (which I think is a bit steep for a script). I have seen only a couple of 51-52 cars equipped with this option, even though the car came with the automatic transmission. Was there a reason why Studebaker offered this as an additional option in addition to purchasing the automatic drive transmission? Or, was this script an after market accessory? The P/N for the script was AC-2205 and I guess it was available for the 1951-1952 cars.

Thank you All for your help,

Brian

Update: 10/25/13

Apparently, I am now in need of both pieces of script as I was informed that the seller had already sold the AUTOMATIC script last week and mistakenly reposted it! Anyone out there willing to sell a set, let me know.
    Last edited by 61LaRk4dr; 10-25-2013, 07:08 AM. Reason: Update
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

That item was a Studebaker authorized accessory (an option), not aftermarket supplied. AC-2365 was used for 1953, so it is not the same as for 1951-1952. It was no longer offered for 1954.

In the early 1950s, an automatic transmission was a big deal. Some manufacturers just started to offer them and most cars did not have them. Some new car buyers wated the nameplate to show that their car had an automatic transmission and some didn't. Other manufacturers also offered a similar nameplate, like MercOMatic.

In 1953, the uninstalled list price was $2.95. What is that in today's dollars?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hello Gary,

Thank you for the information. Now I just need to get my hands on a set! By the way, I looked it up on the inflation calculator and this is what I found:

What cost $2.95 in 1951 would cost $25.73 in 2012.
      Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2012 and 1951,
      they would cost you $2.95 and $0.32 respectively.

Of course, this is 2013, but they won't go that far yet.

Cheers!

Brian
      1947 Studebaker M-5
      1946 Studebaker M-5
      1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
      1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
      1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

AC-2365 was used for 1953, so it is not the same as for 1951-1952.
        I am curious to know the different between AC2205 and AC2365 if any....

Picture from old ebay ads:

Templates:

On a '52

The template picture is fuzzy but looks like the AC2365 number is hand written on the upper templates in the picture. I acquired one of these and installed on my '53 but it was the '51-'52 template with mine and from the picture I think the '53 template had the scripts located higher up so they would be above the backup lights (if also equiped). In ignorance I put mine per the older template and it is in the same spot where backup lights would go if I had them. Not going to move it now!

I suspect the only difference in the two numbers is the template sheet included.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Perhaps it is the picture angle, but the letters appear more upright on the 1953 emblem than the one pictured (first picture), especially the "D".
          Yes, the template would have to be different.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
          X