Another battery hold down story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another battery hold down story

I got up early to check on a demolition crew's progress. As I turned on to a vacant lot I heard BANG, CLANG, THUD! under the hood of my Avanti powered Champ. Great, that's all I need is some onomatopoeia to start the day. So I shut it off immediately & popped the hood. What the.....? The battery was resting against the fan. The battery hold down & wing nut had worked themselves loose and the battery tumbled sideways into the fan. So I put everything back in place and tightened the nuts real good. Then the truck wouldn't start. Great. Now what? The tranny was still in drive. I shifted to park & it started right up & ran with that familiar rumble. The fan is OK too.
    Ladies & gentlemen, please check your battery hold downs.

All Studebaker owners should start their day with the formation or use of words such as buzz or murmur that imitate the sounds associated with the objects or actions they refer to.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

THANK YOU BOB BRUNER!
      You get a free year's supply of atta-boys for this observation...but, no, I'm not sending you a Gift Certificate for son Joe's High Cotton restaurant down there! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

BTW... How's that Champ running?...
        Last time I saw it the shop was tinkering with the trans, or something...
        Jeff

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

It's running pretty good, Jeff. The spark plugs foul easily, though, even running on 93 octane ethanol free gas. Someday that Avanti transmission you have might find it's way to a new home too.
          Bob, don't tease us with the High Cotton offer. Their food is beyond delicious! I guess an attaboy is better than a dumbarse boy.

Comment

We'd have to put it on you tube for the sound effects
            Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            All Studebaker owners should start their day with the formation or use of words such as buzz or murmur that imitate the sounds associated with the objects or actions they refer to.
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Yeah?
              Ever see onomatopoeia in the daily crossword puzzle?

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
              We'd have to put it on you tube for the sound effects

Jeff

Comment

it`s even spelled correctly, thanks for beating that in my head mr. buccini (my 7th grade English teacher).

that is on...then tomato without the t...then poe for Edgar Allen Poe, Mr. Buccini`s favourite author, and lastly ia for industrial arts, my best subject. that`s how he told me to remember it back in `72 junior.
                sigpic
                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by rbruner View Post
                  I got up early to check on a demolition crew's progress. As I turned on to a vacant lot I heard BANG, CLANG, THUD! under the hood of my Avanti powered Champ. Great, that's all I need is some onomatopoeia to start the day. So I shut it off immediately & popped the hood. What the.....? The battery was resting against the fan. The battery hold down & wing nut had worked themselves loose and the battery tumbled sideways into the fan. So I put everything back in place and tightened the nuts real good. Then the truck wouldn't start. Great. Now what? The tranny was still in drive. I shifted to park & it started right up & ran with that familiar rumble. The fan is OK too.
                  Ladies & gentlemen, please check your battery hold downs.
                  I learned this a long time ago playing around with restored John Deere 110 tractors. Those wing nuts can vibrate loose over time, weather it's a tractor or a car. Heck with originality, I use lock nuts and carry around a wrench. If you don't want to go that route, at least use lock washers.
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                  X