My latest tool/toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My latest tool/toy

Picked this up today and it will be a big help on my future Studebaker projects. First use will be working on the underside of the Conestoga. As is my usual practice I found a nice used unit. This was owned by another enthusiast who had used it gently, primarily for storage and oil changes. If you ever have to move one of these things, with the casters on it and a little creative thinking, these things will go nicely on a flatbed tow truck. Sure beats taking it apart, lifting all the heavy stuff, then having to put it back together.

Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Good find Pat, it is always a toss up whether to buy the Two Poster or the Four Poster, because they both have advantages and disadvantages.

I always hate clunking my head or arms on those big (too wide) rails, BUT they are way more safe and secure than a 2 Post, and can be better used for storage, Oil changes, Tranny changes etc.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

nice!!!

with my "maladies", i wish i had one. but it won't fit in my 2 car garage (height), and the HOA nazis certainly wouldn't allow it on the driveway. i'm starting to think (again) about moving out in the "country" with a decent building/barn with a living area or small "single-wide".
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Do what I did, buy a 24 Car Pole Building that happens to include a 4 Bedroom, 2 bath minor fixer on an Acre, in the County, Horse and Cow Country, 6 miles out of the nearest small town.
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Do what I did, buy a 24 Car Pole Building that happens to include a 4 Bedroom, 2 bath minor fixer on an Acre, in the County, Horse and Cow Country, 6 miles out of the nearest small town.

Yep... Then fill 'er up!
          Jeff
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post

Yep... Then fill 'er up! Jeff
            Right, then you can Plant a few Studes. in the back 1/2 Acre, and they MULTIPLY!
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Nice. Should come in handy.

Comment

VERY, VERY nice!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  i'd love that, but don't need that big of a house. and unfortunately i'm renting now - mainly thanks to the "ex Mrs. Corvanti". i certainly don't need this 3 bed-2bath house now. just me, pink (the cat) and floyd (the dog)... and the '51 , with my daily driver now - '89 Buick Reatta down in the 'cave for repairs...

the more i think about moving, the better it's starting to sound! i'd miss the beach 2 miles away, though...

sorry for thread drift!
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Did you get the plastic drip trays with it?
                    They are handy if you park something under it.
                    I have both the drip trays and a nylon tarp gizmo.
                    I used the tarp thing once... Plastic drip trays are great.
                    Get enough to run the full length...They stack like paper plates.
                    Get two jack trays..They are handy.
                    I have a shorty Harbor Freight air/hyd bottle jack which is great...and a scissors jack...

Have been thinking about running a long 'single' fluorescent bulb (or two) underneath each side to light up underneath when it is full 'up'...
                    And stereo speakers, and air couplers, and......
                    Jeff
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Well Rich,
                      The 2 I have in storage must not like each other! as in the last 2 years they have NOT multiplied! Maybe it's because the 52 is a steel bodied car and the Avanti is fiberglass! Must be too much "itching" for the 52! LOL

Jim
                      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                      their Memorials!

Comment

I have a shorty Harbor Freight air/hyd bottle jack which is great...and a scissors jack...

Have been thinking about running a long 'single' fluorescent bulb (or two) underneath each side to light up underneath when it is full 'up'...
                        Jeff

YUP!! YUP!! YUP!! YUP!! YUP!! YUP!! and YUP!!, Scr@w the speakers and use a set of wireless headphones. Much better listening.

You'll love it and wonder how you got along without it.

BTW, remove the ramps before you start working on the car, they can leave a nasty gash.

Bob

Comment

wow, you`re so going to enjoy that! junior
                          sigpic
                          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Jeff
                            It has drip trays that go the full length, but they are galvanizes sheet metal. I think plastic would be lighter/better but these will do. It does not have a jacking tray. Sadly the company that made the lift, Autolifters, is no longer in business. That's part of the reason I got a pretty good deal on it. So a jacking tray will have to be built or adapted. The lights are a great idea, I was thinking of those LED ropes.

And yes removal of the ramps is already in the SOP I am writing for it.
                            Pat Dilling
                            Olivehurst, CA
                            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

When I built my house and shop in 1984, I bought a very nice used post lift, and have used it constantly with no problems, been one of my most useful tools. I originally built my shop with a 8 ft, 10 ft and 12 ft doors across the front, but the 12 foot was never activated until a few years ago when a friend moved his muffler shop to a smaller facility and sold me one of his drive-on lifts. It is somewhat more heavy duty than the one you bought, but I have a backhoe, so unloading it and setting it up was no problem. It fitted nicely inside my 12 foot door, but the ramps stick out and had to be removed to close the doors. So I built some hinges and installed a couple of gas struts to hold them in the upright position as shown in the photo. I highly recommend this as a great labor saving.

For the 64 Plymouth drag car project, Sean actually welded some uprights to the drive-on lift to hold the body in position at ride height while he built the chassis. One photo shows the body for a Cisitalia replica project, suspended from the drive-on lift while the chassis is built below, which allows fitting the body on and off easily.

As someone said, the post lift and the drive-on both have their uses, but one of each is ideal. We have been using the post lift for the Studebaker project.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tilt up ramps.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1684301Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas strut and Hinge.jpg
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1684302Click image for larger version

Name:	Plymouth and Kaw ZX1000 MiniSprint.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1684303Click image for larger version

Name:	Fitting Body to Chassis.jpg
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1684304
                              Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                              See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Working...
                              X