253 heads vs 289 motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 253 heads vs 289 motor

Will the early 253 Heads work on my 57 289 supercharged motor?? Pro Con?? Chamber size different??
    Tough working on specific auto from the old days WOW.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Rick

What's an early 253 head?

Tough working on specific auto from the old days WOW.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Rick
    Have patience, Rick. The Studes are dead simple to work on, parts availability is endless and the advice you will get here is priceless. No question which can't be answered.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

If you mean a 232 '51 to '54 Head, NO the bore size is smaller and Valves and Exhaust Ports are TINY.

As I said in your other post about Supercharged Engine Heads, '55 to '60 non-Supercharged 537555 heads are INTERCHANGEABLE and the SAME between 259 and 289.

With these very common 8.5 to 1 Heads & a McCullough Blower I would use the THICK sandwich '55 & '56 Head Gaskets 535982 to cut it to 8.0 to 1.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 10-23-2013, 11:33 AM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sorry about the 253 I meant 259 must of hit the wrong button. So If nothing else I can use the 555 head on a supercharged motor useing a different head gasket??

Comment

Originally posted by studelyman View Post
          Sorry about the 253 I meant 259 must of hit the wrong button. So If nothing else I can use the 555 head on a supercharged motor useing a different head gasket??
          Yes, the Factory rated Compression and HP on all '57 to '64's was rated with the Stock Thin Shim, beaded Steel head Gaskets.
          Using '55-'56 Thick ones, loses .5 a half of a point to help a little with not over stressing the Engine.

Professionally Porting the Heads would improve Flow AND Lower Comp. more.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
          X