• I.D. This Car, Please......

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stude Maybe.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1740945
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

It's not a Studebaker, Jeff.

I'm going to guess a 1931 or 1932 Plymouth. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

MAN! How fast was it going, and what did it hit?
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I don't know,but all I can think about is how something like that would have happened in a Three Stooges movie
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

She's hurtin for certain!
          Proof positive that D.U.I. is nothing new.

Dean.

Comment

I believe that is the "Coon Dog" car.

Easy to see it tried to follow the coon up the tree!
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I am gonna guess Packard, due to the grill design.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                I am gonna guess Packard, due to the grill design.
                c'mon Joe. You're too experience a car guy to think Packard would have made a car that looks a light as this one. I don't think even the cheapest Packard of the era would have been built as fragile as this one looks.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'm leaning to something by Walter P. Chrysler, based on the grill.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Double-bar bumper and dual sidemounts. Hit a tree or pole.
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

It'll buff out. (Well, somebody had to say it.)
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Looks like a Chrysler grille to me too.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

This a puzzle! I was going to agree with Joe, based on the radiator shutters and the large centre disc wheels. Packard was probably the most consistent user of shutters and disc wheels, although the wheel hub was usually smaller. It's indistinct, but the radiator badge could also be Packard. What doesn't say Packard are the cowl mounted sidelights - Packards of that period have fender mounted sidelights - and the vertically mounted shock absorbers.

There isn't much that favours Chrysler. The vertical shocks and cowl lights do, but that's about it. Only Chrysler Imperials used radiator shutters, but the radiator shells they were used on were pointed.* Also, this car appears to have mechanical brakes, which definitely eliminates Chrysler. Packard did have mechanical brakes.

This car has hood doors - Packard - not louvres which would be Chrysler. I believe Chryslers of the period had tubular front axles.

I guess the upshot of all this rambling is that it appears this car is neither of the above.

Terry

Comment

Are those the bumper ends curled up in the center? and how did it get that damaged without demolishing the grill and headlight bar?
                            I'm wondering if that round object laying in the street is the remnant of some sort of low lying traffic device or bumper post from on top of the island?

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
                              Are those the bumper ends curled up in the center? and how did it get that damaged without demolishing the grill and headlight bar?
                              I'm wondering if that round object laying in the street is the remnant of some sort of low lying traffic device or bumper post from on top of the island?
                              Ok...I was not being serious when I posted yesterday. I still don't know what kind of car it is. However, regarding what it hit...zoom the picture in and look behind the driver's side wheel. There it is. Some kind of object that is wedged under the car and holding it up in the air. Perhaps it was the base of a street light and the rest of the pole could have been not yet installed or whipped sawed out of the scene. At least the height of the part wedged under the car could explain why the suspension took such a hit and not the grille.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X