What's an Avanti R1 Engine worth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's an Avanti R1 Engine worth

I have an engine from a car I'm parting out. It turns freely, but needs carb, fuel pump etc to make run. Any ideas what it may be worth? Is it worth while for me to get it started (I could borrow some parts from my Avanti)?
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Please don't take this wrong.
    But a core is a core.
    A rotating core is worth more than a locked up core...but it is a core.
    An R1 'should' have (help me out here, experts):
    (a) an aluminum cam gear.
    (b) a slightly hotter cam (than a non R engine)
    (c) chrome valve covers and windage tray.
    (d) 4bbl intake and carb.

So, the cam and gear adds value, as does the intake and carb.

A running engine is always better, but a fresh start running engine of unknown origin is still a crapshoot for a gambler.
    Wish you the best....
    Jeff

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
    I have an engine from a car I'm parting out. It turns freely, but needs carb, fuel pump etc to make run. Any ideas what it may be worth? Is it worth while for me to get it started (I could borrow some parts from my Avanti)?
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
      Please don't take this wrong.
      But a core is a core.
      A rotating core is worth more than a locked up core...but it is a core.
      An R1 'should' have (help me out here, experts):
      (a) an aluminum cam gear.
      (b) a slightly hotter cam (than a non R engine)
      (c) chrome valve covers and windage tray.
      (d) 4bbl intake and carb.

So, the cam and gear adds value, as does the intake and carb.

A running engine is always better, but a fresh start running engine of unknown origin is still a crapshoot for a gambler.
      Wish you the best....
      Jeff
      Jeff, in addition to your list, a R1 would also have come with a baffled pan with a breather tube, dual point distributer, and a different damper, and of course heads which result in a higher compression ratio.
      Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
      \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

As Jeff rightly says, for those of us who build engines, a non-running core is just a collection of parts to be re-manufactured. Thus, a non-running R1, $350, maybe up to $500, depending on how easy it is for me to look it over closely.

Since I'd be regrinding the cam and replacing the pistons anyway, the only R1 parts which have any greater value than the standard 289" 4-bbl would be the oil pan and aluminum cam gear. Can't remember the last usable chromed rocker covers, valley cover and air cleaner I've seen on a core engine. They've all been so rust-speckled they had to be rechromed.

So yes, it's worth your time to get it running. If you can show some CASO who wants to drop it in as is, that it has good compression and oil pressure, maybe $750, up to $1000.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Too bad. It's worth more in parts. Just like most of the cars we hold dear. Seems a shame, a good used engine for a Saturn costs close to $1000!
          78 Avanti RQB 2792
          64 Avanti R1 R5408
          63 Avanti R1 R4551
          63 Avanti R1 R2281
          62 GT Hawk V15949
          56 GH 6032504
          56 GH 6032588
          55 Speedster 7160047
          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

The heads are not what gives it higher compression from a standard 289. The PISTONS in R engines are different. They are slipper skirt and flat top. Regular V8's until 1964 had full skirts. And regular 289 pistons were dished.
            Additionally our R engine will have a dual point distributor too, and a 40 amp alternator (worth good money in itself). Also the vibration dampener (harmonic balancer) is a better unit.
            Last edited by bezhawk; 10-21-2013, 06:26 PM.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I think the water manifold is different than standard V8,and has heavy duty water pump,and fuel pump is not standard.
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Avanti's all had the same water manifold but the R-1 engines in Larks & Hawks had the standard water manifold. Your right Joseph on the fuel pump & water pump though. I'm sure of this because I know of an (Avanti) R-1 engine that's still in the crate.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

What model of Studebaker are you parting out?
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Standard 289 Stude V8 versus R1 Stude V8.......in similar conition......there would be extra value in the R1 to some folks just because of the "R" (or "JT") engine serial number prefix.

Comment

The engine would be worth the most to the person with the car that it was originally installed in (if it is a 1963 model and not a 1964 model, where the same Engine Number went into more than one car.).
                      Do you know of the car that it came out of? What is the Engine Number that you are asking about?
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I am parting out a 63 Avanti (it's too far gone to repair - frame, hogs and A pillars are all gone). I believe the engine is original to that car - so no one would be interested for the engine number. The last 289 crank I saw for sale was upwards of $300 - so unless this one is busted I can have it turned for around $100 and still come out ahead. A correct 'R' oil pan and breather tube goes for about the same price. Add in the Avanti water manifold and $100 or so for the AFB intake and and you are somewhere around $1000 in parts. That still leaves a full flow 'R' block (I know it is no different from any other Stude V8) and the other parts. As I mentioned in my earlier post, it seems strange to me that a used Saturn long block is worth more than a complete Avanti R1! However, that is the nature of the beast. Not sure what I'll do, but I plan on getting it running this weekend to see what the compression, oil pressure, vacuum readings etc. turn out to be. One thing for sure, I don't need any more engines, so it's going one way or the other.
                        78 Avanti RQB 2792
                        64 Avanti R1 R5408
                        63 Avanti R1 R4551
                        63 Avanti R1 R2281
                        62 GT Hawk V15949
                        56 GH 6032504
                        56 GH 6032588
                        55 Speedster 7160047
                        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

[QUOTE=64studeavanti; I believe the engine is original to that car - so no one would be interested for the engine number. [/QUOTE]

I know what You mean, but still believe that an original "R" Avanti engine would have extra value to someone over a regular 289.....also true if it were an original Hawk or Lark "JT" engine.

Comment

Working...
                          X