Tech Tip: Try Not To Drop A Socket Into The Oilpan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Tip: Try Not To Drop A Socket Into The Oilpan

That is exactly what I did today, while bolting the cam retainer plate in place on the 56J. With the motor in the car, and radiator removed, I had easy access to the cam by just leaning over the front bumper. With the timing cover removed, there is an inch or so of the front end the oil pan, that is open to the elements. I thought a couple of times about putting a rag over the opening, but did not bother. Later, when tightening a bolt, the 1/2" socket fell into that opening. I heard it ricochet, and thought, "this can't be good".

Eventually, I ascertained the socket had made its way to the deep area, and the situation looked pretty grim. After looking at a spare oil pan, I made a fishing tool with a magnet on the end that I could manipulate into the deep area. What a relief when the socket came out on the magnet after about three tries! Better believe I then put a rag over the opening before turning anymore bolts.

good news you got the socket!

i really think that most of the time a wormhole opens up instantly transporting a dropped bolt/nut/socket to another universe - never to be seen again!
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
      good news you got the socket!

i really think that most of the time a wormhole opens up instantly transporting a dropped bolt/nut/socket to another universe - never to be seen again!
      Far more remote than the dryer sock black hole, no doubt.

Comment

Joe, it would probably be easier to ask people who had NOT done something like that to post! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I dropped a screw in the hole for the door knob on my new storm door. heard it hit bottom, just put the knob on with one screw ,instead of 2 till I get a replacement .
          Randy Wilkin
          1946 M5 Streetrod
          Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

I was once changing the points in a Dodge 440. I dropped the little screw that holds the condenser. Thinking it fell to the ground, I just found a replacement and carried on. When I started the car, I found out the screw had fallen into the distributer, jammed a gear,and snapped the dist shaft!
            OK this was 1974. Spare 440 parts were not hard to find,but MAN,Did I feel stupid!
            Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
              I was once changing the points in a Dodge 440. I dropped the little screw that holds the condenser. Thinking it fell to the ground, I just found a replacement and carried on. When I started the car, I found out the screw had fallen into the distributer, jammed a gear,and snapped the dist shaft!
              OK this was 1974. Spare 440 parts were not hard to find,but MAN,Did I feel stupid!
              Yep,
              For similar reasons, iff needed I woulda pulled the oil pan to retrieve that socket. On one hand, it mighta laid there in the bottom of the pan and never been a problem, OTOH, it coulda reeked all kinds of havoc.

Comment

Should have waited it probably would have come of one of the oil leaks as your car was marking its spot.
                John Hull

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                  That is exactly what I did today, while bolting the cam retainer plate in place on the 56J. With the motor in the car, and radiator removed, I had easy access to the cam by just leaning over the front bumper. With the timing cover removed, there is an inch or so of the front end the oil pan, that is open to the elements. I thought a couple of times about putting a rag over the opening, but did not bother. Later, when tightening a bolt, the 1/2" socket fell into that opening. I heard it ricochet, and thought, "this can't be good".

Eventually, I ascertained the socket had made its way to the deep area, and the situation looked pretty grim. After looking at a spare oil pan, I made a fishing tool with a magnet on the end that I could manipulate into the deep area. What a relief when the socket came out on the magnet after about three tries! Better believe I then put a rag over the opening before turning anymore bolts.
                  YEP!!....Those Packard V8's again!.....Oil pans with openings in them where there shouldn't be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X