carb fixed, rocker covers still got me wondering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: carb fixed, rocker covers still got me wondering

ok, I was out looking at the 61 Lark, she looks so sad with no wheels on her (waiting for brakes). I decided to fire it up and let it run a bit. it has an off idle bog, came that way. so after she warmed up I hit the gas a few times and noticed the fuel line was right up next to the power steering res. so I thought I'd just see if I could move it away from there a bit and whoa, the whole carb moved, or so I thought, I grabbed a wrench and snugged up the mounting nuts, 2 were fairly loose, 2 were barely loose. so I thought hhhmmm. So I try the fuel line move again and the carb still moves, just a bit, closer look, the base stays put, the upper part of the carb moves. and while I was messing with the carb I lean on the left rocker cover, and it feels like something is bumping it, tapping on the inside, feel the right one, no bump/tap on that one. there is a repair on the left cover right above the #1 cyl (1 is front left correct?) looks like some one welded/brazed a patch on it. what could be hitting it? thanks guys, you're the man!
    Last edited by guyina4x4; 11-03-2013, 02:04 PM.
    Not studes right now

It would be best to remove the carb and tighten the screws that attach the carb base to the bowl section and hope the gasket is still intact. It is likely that one of the rocker arms on #1 cylinder is hitting the repaired section of the valve cover. #1 is indeed front drivers side.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	4bbl carb 6 (1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1684511OK, I took care of my carb problem this weekend. I also removed the rocker covers and adjusted the valves. started her up and everything was fine. before I could feel something inside the rocker cover and there Is indeed a repair over the #1 cyl. when I put the rocker covers back on, I switched them side to side so the repair would be in the back of the passenger side instead of right up front on the driver side. anyway.. after a little drive and some messing with the a/f screws and another little drive... I see now that I have a crack in the driver side rocker cover and looks like the rocker has hit it and caused the crack. any idea what is causing this? while adjusting the valves I didn't come across anything unusual.
      Last edited by guyina4x4; 11-03-2013, 02:29 PM.
      Not studes right now

Comment

I think I would pull the left valve cover off again, and if the inside of the cover over #1 is no closer than the other Cyl's. I would try to get both valves closed and up, and compare their height to the others, there may be a wrong rocker arm, valve or push rod or 2 that is a different year and too long or something going on with #1.

You know sometimes just about ALL Stude. parts will interchange, even the WRONG ones!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

studerich, I will check that out, I don't see how that part is any lower/closer to the rockers. I was thinking maybe I have them too tight (covers) but if that was the case I would think they'd bend in the middle before bending at the end.
          Not studes right now

Comment

I don't believe you could over tighten it that much. I'm with Rich on this one. Sounds like the push rod is too long. Or somthing to that effect.
            Neil Thornton

Comment

I know there are two different length push rods in use, but I forget where the break occurred.
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

ok, I got both covers off again and clearly see all the rockers have a number cast into them, 1550655 I think, the number on all of them was the same. I didn't have time to start taking out the push rods and measuring them. I will try to get that done tomorrow. thanks guys for the suggestions scott
                Not studes right now

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                  I know there are two different length push rods in use, but I forget where the break occurred.
                  Just for reference, I think Ted H. said that the upgraded Rocker Shafts with smaller Oil holes, new push rods and Rocker Arms started with the 1961 V8 Engines.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                  X