Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I' ve done some stupid things before, but this one beats all...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I' ve done some stupid things before, but this one beats all...

Click image for larger version

Name:	M1530002.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1740892 Notice anything strange about the gasket. If you can see it in this pic. I had a friend come over to help me with the gasket/window. Goop on the gasket and fit both pane into the opening from the inside, loosening the C channel on the inside helps the fit. Re-install the trim on the inside----but alas- the trim covers the defrost holes on the inside. So out comes the knife. Cut the trim to fit around the defrost. DUH ---I think I know what I need to do, turn the gasket/window around, or spin the glass with the gasket 180 degrees. That's where you guys come in.. Do I buy a new gasket? Or spin the windows/gasket 180 and leave it with the cut gasket on the inside. With gasket trimming on the outside, I can cover the mistake with the reveal molding. I'm to old not to laugh at myself----I have no excuses anymore. Besides the selective hearing quote, I've used them all up.. Thanks

Looks like you didn't put the stainless trim in the rubber either??
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

No..from everything I read about the outside reveal molding, it has to go on after the window is in. Even the shop manual says install the window first, then the outside molding. Have you ever installed it first? thanks

Comment

Don't feel alone! I try to forget all the hair brained things I 've done wrong !
        Randy Wilkin
        1946 M5 Streetrod
        Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Well I'm not an expert but I've done a few Studebaker windshields and all I did the stainless goes in first but they were newer models than yours. Mind you those the windshield go in from the outside so that could be the difference.
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Looking to make my first mistake for this year later today. HA! What I hate is not so much making a mistake, I do that a lot, but making an expensive mistake, or breaking an unobtainium part. (My definition of unobtainium might go so far as "it isn't in my shop", or it's difficult to find, or takes time to obtain when I'm in the middle of a project.)

You may be lucky though, a bit of RTV might fill the holes you cut, and being on the inside they won't do much damage. Be careful when removing the glass though, it's easy to break it or damage the seal. Take a time out first... HA!

(Years ago, I once owned a SAAB 900. The dealers fix for shrinking window seals was to fill the gaps where the butt ends separated with black RTV. As they kept shrinking (up to an inch on the rear side windows), the dealer kept adding more RTV. Strange car, built as if it was the first car ever invented by SAAB, not much like any other car, but everything actually worked very well. But, I digress...)
            Last edited by Corley; 10-16-2013, 07:56 AM.
            Corley

Comment

The 50 Champions two piece front windshields are supposed to be installed from the inside. When the rubber gasket is on the window, put it up to the body flange inside and pull the rope you have installed in the gasket from outside the car, to pull the gasket over the body flange. (And then there's Rick)I just placed the gasket against the body flange, figuring the inside trim would push the gasket tight against the flange. The outside trim fit pretty neat then. That's why I cut the rubber to uncover the defrost holes on the inside....They are uncovered when the window goes forward over the body flange........The cost isn't so bad......80 bucks from SI......it's the embarrassment of it all. But, I figure, admitting my mistake is part of the cure

Comment

Originally posted by bosshoss61 View Post
                But, I figure, admitting my mistake is part of the cure

Sorry man, there is NO CURE!!! We all screw up...
                Corley

Comment

Yes, its always something.

Comment

Working...
                  X