The 74 Avanti Awakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 74 Avanti Awakes

It's taken a lot more time to get the 383 SBC/T-56 combo setup in the 74 and ready to start. My target was late september but as always things just slow down.

A bit of history. I picked the 383 Stroker off Craigslist for under $400 as the owner had purchased the car from the original owner that had the engine built and could never get it to run without a bad vibration. In frustration he sold the car/engine combo to a fellow that just wanted the Firebird for it's body. He decided not futz with the SBC but just get what he could.

When I got the engine on a stand it looked brand new inside and miked in at under 0.002" on the crank. It looked like the vibration was coming from the harmonic balancer that had no key in it so it just moved occasionally messing up timing and balance.

I pulled the heads 2.02/1.60 SS valves and did a port match to the Wieand Warrior manifold I purchased to replace the iron one on it originally. The carb and dissy are from the 83 Avanti before I went to EFI. A new Summit balancer and Centerforce Flywheel were added to allow adding the T-56 I picked up on Craigslist. Remember, this is a 4-speed car. I've documented all the installs to get here. The Dana 44 is rebuilt by me with a 3:55 posi added.

I've also added Turner Brakes to the front and all new brake parts and lines. The power steering pump, ram and valve are all rebuilt with new hoses added. The exhaust is a 2 1/2" setup fabricated between my local shop and me. A new Speedway wiring harness was installed far enough to allow the ignition, electric pump and fan to run. The fan is an electric unit as described previously.

Enough blabber, let's see if it starts. Want to bet what happens, I posted it so ---

When I looked at the video my first question was, Why didn't he hit the choke. I had done that prior to startup to be sure there was gas in the carb. This is the first time this engine has been started, it started quicker than any I can remember, so it must want to run. It has been turned several times to set timing, build oil pressure and check fuel pressure.

I let it run at various RPM to break in the new Lunati Voodoo cam and lifters for about 20 minutes and took it for it's first drive with me.

First impression, this thing is "VICIOUS". We've kicked around is 3:55 enough? I know there is about 500# to be added but I just hit the accelerator half heartedly out on the road and it's strong. Now to add the Wide band O2 sensor and start tuning when the body work is finished.

Even better news!! Brakes work, clutch feels right and no leaks.

Let the remainder of the body work start, Dang cold weather coming though.

I'm pumped, This thing will murder the 83.

Bob

Congratulations! It sounds great! One thing I've learned over the years is that anything worthwhile doesn't come easy...it takes effort. You've put in the effort and it's paying off.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Glad you have it fired up. Continue the good work!
      sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

very nice!!!
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Yee Haw...how sweet it is! I`m pumped for ya too, and `this thing will murder the 83`...well as I recall the 83 is no slouch either. Congrats, and line loc...this thing won`t need no stinkin`line loc. cheers, Junior.
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Congrats, Bob!

It sounds wicked. Nice work. No bigger thrill than getting the engine started for the first time.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

A really nice install! Did I miss something? Is their 2 different Avantis in the video? I know the 383 6speed is not all together. Yet the second video seems to be all together and be a automatic. Either way .nice job !
              Randy Wilkin
              1946 M5 Streetrod
              Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Good show, Bob!

Keep the updates coming!
                sigpic
                Dave Lester

Comment

Way to go, that first start is such a thrill, and the first drive even better! Just my opinion, but given the total weight of the Avanti, and the torque potential of the longer stroke 383 I bet the 3.55 gears will work real well. Keep rolling!
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Thanks folks. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm 17 or 70. When these things start for the first time it's a trip.

Randy, It looks like my youtube posts are such that if you don't stop after the first one they just keep playing all of them I have on file. No one deserves to have to watch all of them. Just click on each separate link and watch the first one up. The other Avanti is my 83.

Bob

Comment

Robert, you are my hero; living my dream
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Bob, those two videos prove once again, that car ended up in the right hands! Okay, the yellow could be a bit loud but I bet when it's all together and the engine's broken in, the paint still won't be as loud as the rest of the car! Certainly not as loud as the "She-yit" uttered by the first Camaro driver to witness how fast this car promises to be.

Comment

Bob,
                          It sounds like you're going to have a screamer on your hands. Good luck with it.
                          sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                          X