Oil Filter hoses and connections for 1960 259

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil Filter hoses and connections for 1960 259

I have a 259 Spin on accessory? oil filter that goes on top by the oil filler and is attached to the oil filler neck and has two hoses attached. One hose is about 5 inches long and has two flared male brake line fittings at the ends. The other one, also about 5 inches long, has one male flared brake line fitting and one male fitting that has the same size thread as the brake line but has a very small hole in it. I'm guessing it goes to the middle of the bottom of the filter golder. As my son was taking this filter off since it was leaking, the hoses disintegrated and he is unsure how they were connected.

Questions:

(1) What hose goes to where? (My Guess: Middle of filter holder to fitting beside rocker cover and side of filter holder to fitting on oil filler neck.)

(2) The oil supply hole (the line that goes into the middle of the filter I think) seems very small - about 1/8 inch in diameter. Is this correct?

(3) Is there very much pressure on this hose? Can I replace it with some brake line ends, some gas quality hose and clamps or am I asking for trouble?

Originally posted by 55s View Post
    /Cut/
    Questions:

(1) What hose goes to where? (My Guess: Middle of filter holder to fitting beside rocker cover and side of filter holder to fitting on oil filler neck.)

(2) The oil supply hole (the line that goes into the middle of the filter I think) seems very small - about 1/8 inch in diameter. Is this correct?

(3) Is there very much pressure on this hose? Can I replace it with some brake line ends, some gas quality hose and clamps or am I asking for trouble?
    No the Center fitting is the Return, and the restricted Pressure Hose from the Left Cyl. Head goes to the Outside Fitting, the Filter base should already have a Pin Hole restrictor orifice (.040-.050) Brass Fitting in it. It will not need a huge hose.

And No, do not use fuel Hose, Weatherhead Brand Brass, Barbed, push-on fittings and 5/16" Oil Cooler Hose, are the best to make the Hoses. The Filter can reach 80 to 90 PSI, not 4-7 Lbs. like a Carbureted Fuel System Hose.

You could also make Flared Steel or Copper Lines, but it takes some serious BENDS.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-13-2013, 04:29 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you Richard. Exactly what I needed to know.

The car hasn't run for at least 40 years, and was started up properly with lots of oil and seems to be running fine except for the disintegrating oil lines. I will also change the oil pressure gauge hose. One line blew on my dad's 62 Chap pickup and he had to rebuild the engine.

Comment

Working...
      X