1951 Champion: Generator / Regulator - Charging Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 1951 Champion: Generator / Regulator - Charging Issue

Everything worked great on my last run several weeks ago, and I always disconnect the battery cables after putting the car back in the garage. Today however, the amp gauge just sat there when I cranked it up. Didn't move at all. No charging going on. The engine cranked and ran great.

I had the generator rebuilt and tested several months ago. So what's the problem here? I didn't polarize the regulator after hooking the battery cables back on. But I've not done that in the past and there's never been a problem when I've disconnected the battery and put the leads back on.

Any ideas on troubleshooting on why there's no charging seen at the amp gauge? If I put a digital voltmeter on the generator output terminals, what should be the voltage there? How can you check out the regulator?

Thanks for the help!

With the engine running at 1000 rpm or more I would expect the volt meter to show a 1/2 to a little more then 1 volt above what the battery voltage was prior to starting the engine. A generator does not put out much at idle speed.
    You said the ammeter does not move with the engine running. What happens when you turn the lights on; if the generator is not charging the meter should go to negative.
    Ron

Comment

There is good reading about the generator and regulator in the shop manual for your car. I have a 50 Champion with the 170 motor in it. there is a RPM/volts chart in the book if I remember right. You may have lost connection between the gauge and ground or positive.

Comment

Make sure the generator is grounded use a jumper from the generator housing to a good ground maby the ground continuity is open.

Comment

The battery disconnected may be a clue. Sometimes the regulator looses poliarity, won't function properly. With the engine off you have to polarizie the regulator, but I don't remember which termilals you have to short together. someone will be along to remind me....

Comment

charging

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
            The battery disconnected may be a clue. Sometimes the regulator looses poliarity, won't function properly. With the engine off you have to polarizie the regulator, but I don't remember which termilals you have to short together. someone will be along to remind me....
            I don't believe that disconnecting the battery would have any effect on the regulators polarity, batteries are disconnected and reconnected regularly without any polarity issues. I run my engine every day and disconnect the battery every day with out any issues. One time my generator wouldn't charge was when I decided to derust all the brackets and apply a coat of paint and ground continuity was open I scraped off the paint and all was well. I don't mean to burst your bubble I hope you don't take it that way but I don't think disconnecting the battery will cause any polarity issues Cheers Dave

Comment

Working...
            X