1925 VIN Plate ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1925 VIN Plate ID?

Anyone know how to decode a 1925 VIN plate?

1953810 Studebaker corporation Walkerville OntarioCanada

This is the ID plate off the frame off a 1925 Duplex Roadster Coupe. It would be nice to know what the numbers refer to? Anyone know how to read it?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-10-12 at 7.49.43 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	1740847

Appears to be Canadian build 1925/1926 ER - Standard Six. The lowest priced and smallest of the 3 models offered at that time.

I can't read anything on the plate, but is probably the serial number.

Comment

If the number is correct, 1953810 (not readable on your image) it was used on the South Bend assembled model ER Standard Six. The serial range for this series was 1951351 to 1954401. They were built from August 1924 thru July 1926 with only very minor changes mostly in the radiator shell, hood and visor. The number is simply a serial number and tells you no more than that. Doug is correct about the placement in the model line up. It was the "bread and butter" model for Studebaker during that period. Of the 6 or 7 body styles offered the Duplex roadster would be the second most desirable after the sport roadster.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Was sent this photo today. Found the design changes information of interest

Name:	1926 Standard Six.jpg
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1684563

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
        If the number is correct, 1953810 (not readable on your image) it was used on the South Bend assembled model ER Standard Six. The serial range for this series was 1951351 to 1954401. They were built from August 1924 thru July 1926 with only very minor changes mostly in the radiator shell, hood and visor. The number is simply a serial number and tells you no more than that. Doug is correct about the placement in the model line up. It was the "bread and butter" model for Studebaker during that period. Of the 6 or 7 body styles offered the Duplex roadster would be the second most desirable after the sport roadster.
        Last edited by Merki; 11-06-2013, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Name:	1925 Standard Six ER Duplex Roadster Dash copy.jpg
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	1684764

Hoping someone can help me find a photo of the unusual dash in this Canadian build 1925/1926 ER - Standard Six

Comment

No photo of the instrument panel intact but here are some misc images. It was, I believe one, one of the early style panels. If I am not mistaken there were at least four designs. Lots of ER cars have survived but no way to say which have that particular instrument panel.

Name:	25 stnd six duplex rdstr dash.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1684771Click image for larger version

Name:	25 stnd six duplex rdstr.jpg
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	1684772Click image for larger version

Name:	25 stnd six duplex rdstr 2.jpg
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1684773
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Hi Peter

It seems I have some crow to eat! My parts book lists the part numbers for the dash in Richard's illustration above, but there is no picture of it. To reiterate, that dash was used in Walkerville assembled cars between serial numbers 1953784 - 1953880. Simple math gives a total of 96 cars of all body styles. It is the second design. In the US, the serial numbers are broken down by body style in the parts book. The total number of cars built in the US with the 2nd design dash appears to be 2852. Add in the Walkerville cars, and the total is 2948. Total US production of the ER for 1925 -26 was 144, 099. Walkerville assembled 3049. The total is 147, 148 cars. Therefore, 2948 is about 2% of total ER production! No wonder I've never seen one! The parts book refers to it as an "embossed" dash. I've often wondered what that meant. I think it may refer to the fact that the gauge panel projects out from the dash and is an integral part of it, rather than a separate piece, as is the case with designs 1, 3 and 4.

By comparison, the 1st design dash was split into two groups - 1a had the speedometer on the right, 1b on the left. Total 1a production, US was 30844, Canada 1992. One b was US 18765, Canada 441. Third design US 11159, Canada 521. All of which makes the second design dash by far the rarest.

Anyway, enough with the boring details. I've got some more (boring) info I'll add later.

You may be beginning to understand why restorers of Studebakers of the twenties tend to have grey hair!

Terry

Comment

Those pictures are better than I had ever hoped to come across Richard. Thank you for solving that puzzle. It really made my day

Peter

Comment

Hi Terry,

We both learned some things today so it can only be a win win. The photos Richard found fill in a lot of blanks and your info fleshed it out even more. Now I have a shot at restoring the dash. I thought I was crazy as everything I came across, in myriad google searches, showed the other dash versions. Thanks again to the both of you

Peter

Comment

Hi Peter

Using the part numbers in Richard's illustration, these are the applications for the gauges:

Ammeter

113026 2nd design
                    113307 3rd design

Oil pressure

113025 2nd design
                    113306 3rd design

Gas gauge

124329 2nd and 3rd design

Panel plate

113023 2nd design
                    113303 3rd design

Panel face

113304 3rd design

Bezel & gasket

110061 1st, 2nd and 3rd design
                    111123 " " " "

Panel lamp

110065, 110066, 110067 1st, 2nd and 3rd design

Spacer

124427 3rd design

There is no dash mounted temperature gauge until after Canadian serial number 1954401 (4th design).

Terry

Comment

Working...
                    X