Engine number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Engine number

If I am reading the chart right on #PL4547 it is a 289 out of a president?
    Thanks

It is a '56 President 289 all right, but it could be out of a President or a Sky Hawk. And a P"L" is a Los Angeles Assembled Engine for installation in a L.A. (Vernon Plant) Car.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      It is a '56 President 289 all right, but it could be out of a President or a Sky Hawk. And a P"L" is a Los Angeles Assembled Engine for installation in a L.A. (Vernon Plant) Car.
      Since this is a 1957 Silver Hawk guess that means its not the original engine...
      thanks,
      Tony

Comment

That's right, especially since no '57's were built at the Vernon Plant.
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Did Studebaker actually assemble V8s in Vernon, or were they just engines that were assembled in South Bend and shipped to Vernon to be installed in cars assembled there (with the L in the engine number)?
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Los Angeles Engine Numbers

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            Did Studebaker actually assemble V8s in Vernon, or were they just engines that were assembled in South Bend and shipped to Vernon to be installed in cars assembled there (with the L in the engine number)?
            You know Gary I do not know how we would verify that today, unless we can find a Local to South Bend former Engine Plant worker to tell us.

It just makes sense to me that it would be done that way, but then common sense did not always enter into Corporate thinking!

They could have fully assembled them in SB and left the stamping until ready for installation, or even stamped them in South Bend thereby creating a mess to keep track of which goes into what.

I have a Original '56 Power Hawk with a VL 259, and a '56 Commander VL8048 Engine which is now a "299" R1 1/2 in my '54 Starliner. I really can't say EXACTLY WHERE they got stamped or assembled.

Now if Dick Quinn has some good pics of the Rail Cars getting loaded with fully assembled Engines, or Engine Parts headed for LA, like the pics we have of the wrecked Rail Cars full of Bodies, we would have a good clue, Hint, hint!
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a Original '56 Power Hawk with a VL 259, and a '56 Commander VL8048 Engine which is now a "299" R1 1/2 in my '54 Starliner.
              Dad- you forgot about the 'loose' 289 sitting in the pile of eight.
              It is s/n PL5268, and from my records we have it's original stick bellhousing too!!!

StudeDave '57
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment