No announcement yet.

700R4 poor install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 700R4 poor install?

Had a well known stude vendor install a 700R4 transmission in my 63 Avanti. But my local mechanic noticed that it was installed improperly 1" too low and not centered properly being 1" off to the left. Additionally causing problem of steering box starting to etch into my exhaust manifold which will eventually crack it. We tried to move it but noticed the governor was already pressed up against the passenger side of the tranny tunnel, so don't see any way to move other than cut a hole. This crooked install all became apparent when we tried to install new exhaust pipes. Any thoughts? I know others have done this install before but I never heard about there being a problem with the governor, which would mean cutting the passenger side floor and having a bump apparent on the inside of car.

Yes, the floor has to be cut to install the governor. Not a large cut and not a big deal.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      Yes, the floor has to be cut to install the governor. Not a large cut and not a big deal.

jack vines
      So then this was not installed properly. I went with a well known stude vendor and surprising he failed to do the install properly resulting in my whole trans being crooked..

Comment

If the tranny is off kelter, so is the engine, but probably to a lesser degree. It may be noticeable at the fan, in relation to the shroud & radiator. Yes? No?
        Last edited by JoeHall; 10-11-2013, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Another example of where a 2004R would be a better choice from a size standpoint, if not other reasons.
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Didn't see any issue with the engine, but I'm leaning towards replacing with the 2004R. Anyone want a rebuilt 7004R? I'll eventually post the story of how many other things the vendor did wrong. I only wish someone had warned me about him. Had to redo almost everything this guy did.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybot View Post
              Didn't see any issue with the engine, but I'm leaning towards replacing with the 2004R. Anyone want a rebuilt 7004R? I'll eventually post the story of how many other things the vendor did wrong. I only wish someone had warned me about him. Had to redo almost everything this guy did.
              Now days, a few elderly Stude wrench turners may own repair facilities, and contribute to others' keeping them on the road. But that does not mean they are the ones actually turning the wrenches today. Realistically, I do not envision them out on the shop floor monitoring closely, but hopefully they are somehow maintaining QA.

The West Coast 63GT I bought in June 2012 supposedly had mega-dollars' mechanical work done at one of the most reputable Stude repair facilities in SoCal, from around 2000 to 2010. This was a strong selling point to me. After having gone through the car myself mechanically (unplanned), the only thing I did not find screwed up was the FOM tranny, and it was probably outsourced to a local tranny shop. So I have only one word for 90 percent of the work done on this car during that time-frame: pathetic.
              Nuff said.
              Last edited by JoeHall; 10-11-2013, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybot View Post
                Just askin' but what would it take to move the engine and tranny back to the original position. I don't remember the mounts being very complex and there are certainly a few 700R4's running around in 63/64's.

Seems a little early to abandon a recently rebuilt trans to me.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                  Just askin' but what would it take to move the engine and tranny back to the original position. I don't remember the mounts being very complex and there are certainly a few 700R4's running around in 63/64's.

Bob
                  I agree. Sounds like 99% of the job is done. How difficult can it be to provide for needed clearance and shift the tranny 1" ?
                  Last edited by JoeHall; 10-11-2013, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post

Bob
                    To continue the thought, you will need a different or modify the rear tranny mount and a longer driveshaft to fit the 200R4. A lot of extra work and expense compared to moving the 700R4 and possibly the engine.

Bob

Comment

Good chance they didn't actually move the motor mounts, just pulled the back of the trans over to one side an inch and let the rubber take up the difference. Cut the hole and move it over where it belongs and all will be well.

BUT, on the other hand, if you don't have any driveline vibrations, or other serious issues, maybe just address the exhaust issue and leave it askew the 1"??? It won't really hurt anything much... You could pretend you are working towards a cross engine in the future... HA!
                      Corley

Comment

Th 700 has been performing nicely for 2 years now, but the new 2 1/4 exhaust will not fit properly unless I move the tranny over an inch. I also just ported the heads as well as adding the high performance exhaust headers(manifold) which was hard to find. Since the steering box is resting on the manifold, then I have to move the tranny. Just didn't want to cut the hole since I just installed custom made firethorn red tuxedo carpet, but, then I don't want to spend another $1200+ to install a new tranny. Thanks for all the responses.

Comment

The nice thing about a fiberglass body is once you have the tranny clearanced, you can make a backing of tape and cardboard, apply resin and mat patching compound, sand smooth and you're good to go. I've never had anyone even notice there was a bump.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

When the Power Shift in my Avanti was swapped for a 700R4 there was no clearance issues at all. The only thing that needed to be changed was due to the 2 1/2" pipes...a new backup switch/neutral safety switch assembly had to be fabbed as they were too close the the exhaust. The tranny itself...no clearance issues at all. It must be a car by car thing with clearances...different floorpan molds might have given slightly different dimensions or cure rates. MFG and Studebaker had their own body lines...maybe the dimensional differences might be between the two.
                            Last edited by Gunslinger; 10-12-2013, 08:29 AM.
                            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

When the Power Shift in my Avanti was swapped for a 700R4 there was no clearance issues at all. . . . It must be a car by car thing with clearances...different floorpan molds might have given slightly different dimensions or cure rates. MFB and Studebaker had their own body lines...maybe the dimensional differences might be between the two.
                              Could be. Both Jaybot's and mine are '63. What year is yours?

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X