Fun on the Lincoln Highway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun on the Lincoln Highway

Some time ago I realized that this year has two very significant anniversaries. First, the Lincoln Highway turned 100 this year. Second, my Lark turned 50. I've been meaning to go for a little drive on the patch of preserved brick highway for some time, and finally got around to it today. Here are a couple photos for your viewing pleasure. Don't judge them too harshly, I was mostly just fooling around and having fun

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6021sm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1740823 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6029sm.jpg
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1740824 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6031sm.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1740825 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6038sm.jpg
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1740826 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6048sm.jpg
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1740827
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

I really like pic four and five. Five captures the car, brick highway, and that sky in one shot.

Comment

Great pictures!
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Those are great photos, Jim; no need to apologize for them.

I did not know there was a preserved portion of brick pavement, and in good condition to boot.

Thanks for the education. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Too bad you didn't make that part of your chapter's IDYSD last month. It would have been great to see several Studebakers besides yours driving on that brick stretch in both directions. Can you organize a group to do it before the snow flies this year? There was an article in TW years ago on the Lincoln Highway, and a 100th Anniversary photo would be great to see on the cover of Turning Wheels.

Craig

Comment

shot 1 or 5 are worthy of a tw cover. b&w or color, they both speak volumes. nice work. cheers, Junior.
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Recently I saw a program on TV about the Lincoln Highway and they showed this preserved stretch. I like your shots better than theirs. Made me want to drive there from Oregon just for the experience.
              Last edited by Commander Eddie; 10-09-2013, 09:36 AM. Reason: Typos
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Bob, as Omaha has grown, this little 3 mile segment has found itself lodged in the heart of prime development land. A huge shopping mall is right across the street from where this patch begins, and a prominent car dealership runs along the first hundred yards of brick. More than once proposals have been made to just pave it over. Fortunately, its recently been given projected status as a historic landmark, so at least for the foreseeable future, it will remain the original 1920 brick. When they do repairs, they even have to save and re lay the old brick whenever possible.

I didn't get a shot, but there's even a single remaining maker part from 1913. It's a neat little patch of road. I highly encourage any car guys to check it out.

Comment

Jim,
                  Rte 30 Lincoln Highway hasn't gotten the recognition Rte 66 has. LIncoln is longer and older and still being used. Being in the Chicago south suburbs, I was familiar with Rte 30 through that part of the state and IN. Going to Gettysburg 3 years ago, I was amazed at how different is is out there. My daughter lives in Omaha, so I should also look for some stretches of 30 in NE as well.
                  sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

I agree. Route 66 was doing something that had already been done.

This is a really nice patch to visit, even with the shopping mall and car lots closing in on it.

Comment

Nice job. I agree that the Lincoln Highway hasn't gotten the recognition it deserves. I've never driven on the brick part of the highway.
                      Interesting experience.
                      Rog
                      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                      Smithtown,NY
                      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

In August I was driving back from the Upper Mississippi Zone Meet in St Louis and drove on a preserved stretch of brick road of the 1930-40 Rte 66 south of Springfield. IL It is really neat hearing the tires rumbling over the brick. I was amazed that people were still looking after that stretch and keeping it up. No weeds were growing on any of the brick portion. About 5 miles north of that brick stretch of road, I came across Studebaker Ave. along old Rte 66.
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                        X