1961 Hawk Crying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Hawk Crying

I've had this Hawk for over 30 years. Tonight I put it in the garage, disconnected the battery and heard like a wheezing sound. After a few checks, calling the wife, I took the oil fill cap off, ear to fill tube (not on valve covers....fil tube...1961). I can hear this sound like an athma attack but with a drip type timing.

In other words the car is apparently running oil back, causing an air sucking sound like a wheeze at a drip interval. What is going on now? The cap filter is CLEAN and makes the noise with the cap off. It has a Road Draft Tube. The noise stopped after about two hours.

head gasket perhaps. cheers jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

It's common for the top mounted PB 50 spin on filters to "gurgle".
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I have a 63 engine with full flow filter. I don't think a head gasket generally because I have no smoke at all, and more importantly because I don't want that at all. It runs great and always has....well except when I pulled that 61 engine and put in the 63 engine because of a blown engine. I am thinking it's just a new thing. Car ran fine...took her up to about 75, drove 10-15 miles tonight ..just a weird sound. Maybe it misses me.

Comment

Cooling system de-pressurizing?

Craig

Comment

What Brad said...
            My '61 Hawk always has done that same thing.
            Jeff
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

If it's a 63 engine, then Craig is probably right it's the cooling system. Try changing the radiator cap with one that isn't for a recovery system (unless you have a overflow tank installed).
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
              X