Heater-sender for electric radiator-fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Heater-sender for electric radiator-fan

This is a wee bit non-Studebaker... cause the engine in Josephine is a Mopar s.b. but it might be the same as for Studebaker-engines...?
    I need a sender-unit for my electric radiator-fan & i wonder if anyone knows about what years the electric fan's started?
    (I've got 2 engines, the newest from -89 but that doesn't help much since it was equipped with engine-mounted fan.)

(I ONLY want to know what I asked, NOT where I can buy a universal one, I live in Europe so the speed-shops here aint the same as in the states anyway, so that doesn't matter since my question isn't even about that.)

Generally, you can find a thermocouple that will activate the electric fan. A thermocouple is an analog switch which connects to the electric buss and has a length of maleable copper or aluminum tubing with a heat sensative bulb at the end. The bulb is about 2 inches long and maybe a quarter inch in diameter and contains a non-elemental mercury. The bulb is inserted in the fins of the radiator and when the heat expands the mercury, it activates the switch, turning the fan on/off. The temperature at which the fan is activated can be adjusted using the dial on the switch...
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Check
      Car parts for modern & classic cars. Jeep & truck accessories. Street performance & off-road parts. Mechanic tools & shop equipment. Free shipping on $109 orders.

web site - They have many listed by temperature for start and stop of fan. They also have radiator probe sensors. Both are avail. in set on/off temperature and adjustable.
      Paul TK

Comment

As I recall, many of the late 70s and early 80s Hondas and Toyotas were already using electric fans. It would seem fair to assume that all one needs to do is adapt the sender from the Honda engine to that of the Mopar. I know some of the later Hondas used a sender located in the lower part of the radiator itself. Should be a fairly easy add-on. In fact the Hondas used a switched fan to come on whenever the AC was turned on. It would be a good idea to wire that to a manual switch on the dash in the event the sender quits working. It shouldn't be too hard to locate some early Hondas or Toyotas, even in Sweden.
        sals54

Comment

Most of the later cars that use electric fans have the on/off controlled by the ECU, so they are not good candidates for the thermal switch. Summit, Jegs, or Speedway are your best bet. Be sure to include a relay, so that the thermal switch does not carry the whole load of the fan motor, rather it just picks the relay, and the relay contacts drive the fan motor.
          Corley

Comment

The ***-crap "cars" from the 70's are long gone by rust in Sweden, like time-bombs they just disappeared more or less on the same date by rust-explosions... & they had metric threads.
            Bu I was kinda wondering about what ages to go looking for on the scarp-yards when it comes to American cars so I'll get an inch-threaded feeler.

Comment

Working...
            X